cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I assign Hub 3 MAC address to the new router ?

cy1
Tuning in

Hi all,

When I switch my Hub 3 to modem mode, router gets a different Public IP. I ideally would like to keep my original Public IP (I am aware it is not static), so I tried to configure router's WAN interface using Hub 3's MAC address. However, this didn't help me to get the original IP back. If I switch Hub 3 to router mode, it gets the old IP successfully.

There are two MAC addresses I can see in the Info screen, one called Cable Mac Address, the other is just Mac Address. I tried to assign both to my router's WAN interface however it kept acquiring different IP addresses.

Is there anything I can do to configure router to get the old IP ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
The MAC used for router mode WAN is one hex up from the listed MAC on the hub but its not going to help due to the way the MAC is part of the modem mode bridge.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Why do you want your old dynamic ip back again?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

It is whitelisted on few places (not the end of the world) and I've been using it for more than a year, so mostly for emotional reasons 🙂

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
The MAC used for router mode WAN is one hex up from the listed MAC on the hub but its not going to help due to the way the MAC is part of the modem mode bridge.

---------------------------------------------------------------