cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add a second router to my house? If so, what type do I need?

dannybongo123
Joining in

My problem: We have a lot of devices/smart products connected to our router, which is weakening our signal.

My situation: We have a virgin media hub 3 under the stairs and we have c. 15 devices constantly connected to it, resulting in poor connectivity. I have CAT 5 cables running up through the house, which are linked to the Virgin Media Hub 3 and there is a gigabit switch on the 1st floor. I would like to add a second router to the 1st floor, so that I can connect half of our devices to this router. 

My Questions: Can I buy use second router? Do you have any recommendations? Do I plug this into the gigabit switch? Does Virgin allow a second router to be used (if we only have one broadband package?)I am hoping to be able to connect the a new router via the gigabit switch and get a simple extension of my existing broadband set-up (as was the process downstairs at my main hub/router). I'm not great with tech so any help would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The best and easiest way to do this is simply to add wireless access points on the end of the ethernet cables you already have or connected to the switch good ones can be had from ~£40 (see below) . Or just plug other devices into the ethernet ports on them - or the switch

BTW - you say Cat5 cables - is that correct - or are they really Cat5e ones (it will be printed on the sheathing). Cat5 is only guaranteed for 10/100 speeds so you may well not get over 100mbps on them in that case. Cat6a cables are better too as they have improved shielding from interference and cross-talk.

Use in "Access Mode" or in router mode if you put the Hub into modem only mode.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You don’t say, but I read it that you want better WiFi on that floor. No need at all to get another router, it’s just overkill. All you need is a Wireless Access Point connected into your existing switch.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2