cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabling my property

Anonymous
Not applicable

In Edinburgh, I was an happy Virgin Media customer. I had to move from Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy, and Virgin media preferred to close my contract because the new house was "not served". The whole city and the whole neighborhood, however, is normally cabled by Virgin Media and they have full power fibre. I also live in a semi-detached, and the other half of the semi detached has Virgin Media fiber as well. I've contacted Virgin Media customer service in a lot of ways: phone, chat, e-mail, they always say "we will contact you soon" but none of them do.

If the previous property owner was a **** and did not want to cable that property is not my fault. Why it's so hard to get the house cabled? I also offered to help paying for the job, but they won't listen. I unfortunately use internet to work from home, and it's ridiculous to work using 4G like I am doing now.

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person should respond on here soon.

On possibility is that they have reached network capacity at the new location and so cant take new customers. But as you speculate - there could be other reasons like they blacklisted the property due to a previous owner's behaviour.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response! I really hope that can be fixed someway. I am a totally different person from any previous owner and I am the new and only full-fledged owner of this property. It's so sad to be really the only house in the whole area to have no access to fibre.

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Anonymous 

Please accept our apologies on the difficulties you've had so far in getting an outcome. 

I can certainly take a look into this for you, and we can then find out if we can service your property or not. I'll pop over a private message to you as I'll need to take a few details which will allow me to investigate. 

Please keep an eye on the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen. 

Many thanks,

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a mail (an automatic one, I guess) telling me to write here, so I'll write the updates on my case. During these days, I've spoken privately with a kind and clear VM agent, and she explained the situation. Basically, I cannot actually become a VM customer here where I live now: not for any blacklist due to previous occupiers, not for reaching maximum capacity. But because my house was built probably later than VM cabling work (2012), and all area, except me, is served. Since my house is semi-detached, the other part of the building is normally served because they are sharing the same cables with the previous property, which has a capacity of 2. To me, that I live at the last part of the road, there is nothing to get apart from 4G.
Standard fibre landline covers here but you can just get slow speeds (even slower that with ADSL). Virgin Media clearly said that cabling my property would be too expensive and they won't do that just for one person (even if I would stay with Virgin Media for the rest of my life).

The only hope for me is to Open Reach to install FTTP soon here, that would skyrocket my connection speed. That does not change the fact that I have been really unlucky with this property (and I feel scammed as well), but it's another story.

Why can’t you share the connection with the adjacent property?

Look into satellite internet - there’s a website Here with a postcode checker - try other sites, search etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response! The adjacent property is already sharing connection with the following adjacent property, I could not join them and have a decent connection at the same time. I never heard of satellite connection. My postcode is not yet served on that website. But don't worry, I just responded here again as VM asked me to (maybe to update with the outcome in order to be useful to other customers), but I had to accept the fact that I cannot be a Virgin Media customer here where I live, unfortunately.

@Anonymous wrote:

I never heard of satellite connection. My postcode is not yet served on that website. 

It's been around for a while.  Try searching for other providers.  However, Scotland may be too far north for their coverage footprint?

Usually they use the satellite link for download and 'ordinary' slower DSL broadband for uplink - fine for web browsing and streaming.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hey Grewon, 

Thank you for your message and I am sorry to see Virgin Media is not currently in your area. 

We are always updating and investing in our network, we have overspent over 4 billion on this in the past few years with more work planned. 

You can always keep an eye on for updates on our planned work on our checker it will allow you to opt-in for updates via this link. 

Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Matt, thanks for your response. Unfortunately I cannot opt in on that site since it says that my property is already served because it's inside a virgin media area, but it's not true as mine is the only property not serviced and not serviceable (as your kind colleague already told me).