Menu
Highlighted
Adamross100
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cable suddenly stopped working

Been a VM customer for years and have had same cable (in home) since installation - which is all boxed in with fitted furniture.

This morning the modem went offline with flashing green base light.  Multiple restarts but nothing works.

No outage in area. Called VM who are sending an engineer tomorrow.

In meantime, I found a spare short cable which plugged directly into wall box (meant modem/wires across floor so not a feasible permanent solution) - which connected immediately, thereby suggesting issue is with original cable.  Checked connectors on cable and nothing looks untoward.

No idea what could have caused this or how they will be able to resolve!!??  Only viable solution I can think of is if they move wallbox (from outside) to another wall in room which can then be accessed near to where modem needs to be.  is this something engineer will be able to do? Alternatively they would need to try route a new cable through multiple cupboards/drawers.  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable suddenly stopped working

After you used the short cable successfully, if you then plug it back into the "old" cable - does it work?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Adamross100
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No - first thing I tried but still no joy.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I guess the first thing they can try is to replace the connectors at both ends of the internal cable. If that doesnt help (and there are no other connectors in the "run") then you have to assume the cable has "failed". If it isn't "fixed" by clips to walls/skirtings/etc it might be possible to pull new cable through the same path by joining new to old - but a long shot I guess. They can move the wall point but whether they will depends on the person you get - tea and biscuits might help. If not, its a £99 call out job as I guess technically speaking its not the VM equipment that has failed - i.e a non-fault job.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Adamross100
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately it is clipped to the skirting boards behind the units so won't be able to run through.  there is a gap under desk (is an office) where I'm thinking they could try cutting cable and connecting there instead - but that will only work of defective part of cable is on the 'right' side.  Alternately only other option would be to drill small holes through all units and try feed through (problem requiring about 5 holes and careful routing) - would they even be willing to do that though?

How can a cable just suddenly fail?

In relation to them moving wall box outside (literally just around corner less than 2 meters in total from where is now) - would this be the same engineer who can do this? or will it require another appointment (even if I have to pay the £99 will do so but would prefer sorting there and then whilst here!)

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I assume all technicians can do the job (others may correct me here) and it might depend on the time - how many more calls etc. You could do the hole drilling and route a "pull rope" (string!?) through so that they just need to attach the pullrope to the new cable and pull it through. Would need to avoid sharp turns I guess.

--------------------
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adamross100, 

Thank you for getting in touch! 

If the engineer identifies a fault with the cables, we would have to book a separate call out to get it sorted. There would be no additional charges for us to replace the cable as it is related to a fault. 

Have you had the engineer visit yet? If so what did they advise?

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Adamross100
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Hetty_R wrote:

Hi Adamross100, 

Thank you for getting in touch! 

If the engineer identifies a fault with the cables, we would have to book a separate call out to get it sorted. There would be no additional charges for us to replace the cable as it is related to a fault. 

Have you had the engineer visit yet? If so what did they advise?

Many thanks, 

Hi Hetty

Engineer has been this morning, and confirmed that the internal cable has failed. Best way of resolving is to move the connection around the corner (outside) so can come in from the adjacent wall which will come out under my desk, and can then be connected up to the existing cable (the part of which is still ok).  Has booked in an appt for next week to get done (will be a different engineer as he on holiday).  He said he would have done it today, but didn't have time as was fully booked.

The spot on wall where will need to come through is in between (on external side) the gas/electricity meter boxes - but engineer said this should be ok as nothing should be running in between them.

Hopefully will be no further complications when they come out next week! In the meantime he has put in a long cable trailing across the floor, which will put up with for a few days!

Will update again if any more problems.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the update 🙂

Glad to hear the engineer has been out today, it sound's like he has done everything he can at this stage. If you do need to arrange the appointment for any reason let us know and we can do this for you. 

Please keep us posted with how you get on and let us know if you have any issues in the meantime. 

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Adamross100
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Hetty_R wrote:

Thank you for the update 🙂

Glad to hear the engineer has been out today, it sound's like he has done everything he can at this stage. If you do need to arrange the appointment for any reason let us know and we can do this for you. 

Please keep us posted with how you get on and let us know if you have any issues in the meantime. 

Many thanks, 

Thanks

Appointment is on Tuesday - which I can make work if necessary, but would have preferred sooner (over this weekend or Monday) if at all possible (have young children at home so trailing cables across floor is a recipe for disaster!!). if you can do any magic to make sooner then that would be awesome - otherwise will leave as is and see him on Tuesday.

0 Kudos