Menu
Holliebags
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cable issue

Hi, the cable that plugs into the back of my router (hub 3) is damaged. I’ve had it for quite a while. 
i upgraded my router in September, but didn’t receive a new cable at that time. 
I called virgin to request a replacement cable be sent out to be as the damage is causing intermittent wifi. The damage is through wear and tear and basically the wires are starting to come out the plastic casing. 
I was told that they won’t give me a cable as the cable I have is mine, they didn’t give me it. Which is incorrect. I have never purchased a cable and they have always been provided. I have lodged a complaint about this but have yet to hear back. 

at the moment the cable that is usually plugged into the tv box is plugged into my router.  So I cannot get use of the full services I pay for. 
I have ordered three different cables online now and none of them fit. I have tried typing in the cable name to google but I can’t see where I can buy the exact same cable. 
can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable issue

You have a problem with the VM equipment that they fitted - they will repair/replace it for free if you call in and report it properly. Usually by sending out a tech as the signal levels may be affected by a new cable and may need adjusting.

Dont ever use non-VM cables it will cause you (and your neighbours) problems.

Call it in on 150 (VM Phone) or 0345 454 1111 (any other phone) and see what they say when they test the connection. Calling at 08.00 midweek (09.00 Sun) is the best time to get through quickly.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Which cable?  The RF cable with F type connectors between the hub (and TV box) and incoming wall socket - probably via a splitter?

Or are you talking about an Ethernet cable?

F type cables, 1 or 2 metres long, are available from sites like eBay or Amazon for a couple of quid and also in pound shops.   That said I understood VM want their own cables to be used to ensure signal quality - Virgin provided mine along with an Ethernet cable for the V6 TV box.

Example F Type cable here 

But get onto Virgin to get replacement to their specification....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Holliebags
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I did call to report the problem and they told me they wouldn’t send out a new cable. It’s the cable that goes from the splitter to the back of the router. 
I have sent in a complaint about it also, but currently I can either watch my tv services or use my wifi. Not both at the same time. 

0 Kudos
Holliebags
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The cable is from the splitter and plugs into the router. It’s not an Ethernet connection. On the cable it says technetix rla ++ but I haven’t been able to find one the same online 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM do not normally ‘send out cables’, they are usually provided by a technician. Report the problem again, don’t ask for a cable to be sent, but a technician’s visit required. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Holliebags
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is the cable 

07B3D819-9286-447C-9025-931C05935D84.jpeg

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes its broken.  Get a VM tech to visit and repair or replace it.  Job done.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Holliebags
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I’ll get in touch with them again. 

really poor from them that I wasn’t told this on the phone, after an hour long call. Just told to get buy one myself from Amazon 🙄

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

CS was talking ***** or confused. They should never advise buying co-ax cable - but they may have thought you were talking about ethernet cable (to give them the benefit of the doubt) 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos