Menu
Highlighted
morphohecuba
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cable Splitter - does it cause degradation?

Hi there. I have a white NTL cable box on the wall from which a cable comes out and is connected to my TV.  I would like now to have another cable coming out of the same cable box which would then be connected to a broadband router.  So I believe this can be achieved by attaching a FC 2-way splitter (5-2400MHz) to the cable box so that I effectively can have 2 separate cable connections.  My question is: will this result in a degradation of signal to each device (i.e. TV and router)?  Also, are there specific types of splitters which are compatible to Virgin Media with regard to frequency, etc?  Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cable Splitter - does it cause degradation?

Against your t&c's to mess/add/modify VM equipment - so attempt it yourself at your own risk. My lad (unbeknown to me) changed a cable in his room for an amazon one and ended up messing up all the neighbours connections when he introduced "noise" into the system!
Best to let VM do it with their own "magical" cable and splitters etc. They will charge £99 of course - unless you can blag a visiting technician (their for another reason ?!) to do it for you - they usually would for a cuppa and a biscuit.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You imply you only have one connection to your TV. Therefore I assume you do not have broadband. If you get broadband from VM they will install all the necessary cables and hub that is required. There might be an installation charge, but I do not know if with any of the broadband packages it is free. You cannot install you own purchased/obtained cable router it need to be registered and it will not work at all.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you order broadband you can get the Quickstart pack which will contain the necessary splitter and cables. If this doesn't work a VM technician will install.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection