Menu
pukker76
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Business Broadband Setting up 2 Routers

Have the Hitron router supplied by virgin business broadband. Everything works fine. However I have a 2nd Hitron router identical to the first. When I switch this on and connect the 2 router through a Ethernet cable, internet goes down or slows down. What settings do I need to change on the router?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business Broadband Setting up 2 Routers

How are you connecting them and more importantly why?

What exactly are you trying to do with the second router?

John

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Its quite simple you don't connect two Hitron routers together.

0 Kudos
pukker76
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Im connecting the 2 routers with a Ethernet cable and it’s purely to extend the wi-fi signal.

From what I can understand on router 2 I disable the DHCP which I’ve done.

Manually set the IP Address of this router to 1 number higher than the existing main router, which I’ve done.

Set the Internet Gateway of router 2 to router 1's IP address. This is where I’m struggling, where is this setting?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ah right I think you may be getting confused by the procedure you need to go through if you have a Hitron router with static IP addresses, in which case you need to supply your own router (not another Hiton as it needs to have an Ethernet WAN port) and the first Hiton passes the WAN address(es) through and you set your own router’s gateway address to the address of the first - technically it doesn’t really have to be one higher but 99% of the time it’s the more convenient way to do it. 

In your case, I’m assuming this isn’t so and the first Hitron is just running in standard router mode (much like the domestic Hub 3) - it’ll have a LAN address (192.168.0.1?), connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports to one of the LAN ports on the second Hitron. Set the second Hitron’s LAN address to be whatever you want (192.168.0.2 seems fair enough), disable the DHCP and configure the wifi accordingly. What you won’t be able to do is configure the gateway address because as far as it is concerned, it is the gateway - however any client devices connected to it either by wifi or Ethernet, should get address and gateway info from the DHCP server on the first Hiton and work.

I don’t think the Hitron has a particularly brilliant wifi performance though so you might well be better off just getting a wifi access point instead. 

John

0 Kudos
pukker76
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi John thanks for the info, I’m gonna give this a go tomorrow as I’ve given up on it for today. Out of curiosity any suggestions as to which router would provide faster speeds over Wi-fi? As on a Ethernet cable I get around 500mbps however over wi-fi it fluctuates anywhere between 50-150mbps.

0 Kudos