cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffalo Linkstation email alerts

Stignasty2
On our wavelength

Had two Linkstations working perfectly on hub2ac. VM forced a change to a hub3 by denying my service from their end without notice and throwing me to the 151 clowns to diagnose :(. Now, without changing any NAS settings, the email NAS status alerts have stopped sending and fails only saying 'error' in the Linkstations web page? Tried forwarding settings for the associated SMTP ports and even temporarily turning off the hub firewall. Nothing from either NAS? Any ideas, please?

10 REPLIES 10

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Stignasty2, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've had some trouble with your Buffalo Linkstation email alerts.

Is this the only device you are having issues with it connecting to the Hub or do you have issues with other devices too? 

Can you try resetting things up again from the start to see if this restores the email alerts? 

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Stignasty2
On our wavelength

I have two NAS's, different models but both buffalo. Both stopped working as soon as hub3 replaced hub 2ac, and I've tried setting up the email in both of them from scratch numerous times, even using my VM email server settings/account details and both fail to send anywhere. both worked perfectly for years prior. There is one quite old CCTV camera which connects but won't stream. Not so bothered about that.

Thank you for letting us know @Stignasty2.

Just to confirm has this issue only persisted with the new hub? In this case, please try the following link and let me know if it helps https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-configure-email-settings?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

Stignasty2
On our wavelength

I know how to configure email. The configurations were working fine and had been for many years set up on both NAS's untill you deactivated, without any warning with your network update, my 2ac Hub. 4 days later after pointless engineer cancellations, an engineer finally arrived and fitted a Hub 3. With the Hub 3 it stopped. The hubs are meant to log into an outgoing email server of my choice and send me a status and back up report, which they were doing happily before Hub3.

Does the email server use whitelisting for IP’s?

With a new hub your WAN IP would have changed.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

It's just a Google account, although I have tried using my VM email as a test, so not sure if whitelisting is the answer. Once the NAS has the Google server details, username and password, it should act like I'm sending from an email client I would have thought?

Thank you for your response @Stignasty2

Just to confirm, is this only happening with one email address? Are others affected similarly? Is the issue ongoing today?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

Stignasty2
On our wavelength

The previous threads explain this. Everything was working perfectly prior to the hub replacement, which was the only change in the network and no NAS settings had been changed. I had it set up for a Google and a virgin email account. I have tried others since with the correct server DNS, usernames and passwords, but it can't send any longer and replies failed due to errors.

Hi @Stignasty2

Thanks for reaching out.  I am sorry your Buffalo issues are ongoing.  In regards to this, as you've only been experiencing this since the change to the hub 3, have you tested this by using mobile data?

Regards

Lee_R