cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken cable under new driveway

Elaineprentice
Tuning in

I have recently removed the grass in our front gardgrass and replaced it with an additional parking space.   The cable runs underneath the new driveway area.  Last night, the wifi went off although the tv & landline are still working.  I have booked a technician for Monday. Will they have to lift the driveway or can they run a new cable away from the new parking area?   Also i would have expected that we would have no services if that cable was damaged?   Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can you reach 192.168.0.1 now?

Even if the broadband is down you should be able to reach the hub pages.

And try area faults line

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

g0akc
Problem sorter

The live TV should use the same coax cable as the broadband.  The landline may use different wires on the same cable or may be using VoIP (is the phone connected to the back of the hub or to a separate wall socket?).

Are wired (Ethernet) internet connections working?

If you don't have any wired devices such as PC or laptop available, check if your TV box has an Ethernet connection (as well as the coax connection).  Do on demand TV services and apps like iPlayer work?

Is it just the wireless connection in the house or the whole broadband connection to the house?

If you go to 192.168.0.1 and then 'hub status' what does that show?  paste the information here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

Regarding the cable under the driveway - it's best if the cable is run in duct or conduit (pipe) so a new cable can always be pulled through if required. 

Is there such a tube in situ or is the cable laid direct in the ground?  Might be bright green tube?

IF a new cable is required look at the options with the technician - new route for the cable, use existing duct (If it was used by VM or the driveway installer) or have to dig up the driveway.

Hi

thank u for your quick reply

the phone is connected to a wall socket and it looks like the whole broadband is down as ethernet connection is gone too

i was unable to connect to 192.168.0.1  It just hung

try rebooting the hub (power off/on)

try factory reset of hub

Hi

just tried both- factory reset hasn’t worked either thank you

Can you reach 192.168.0.1 now?

Even if the broadband is down you should be able to reach the hub pages.

And try area faults line

its certainly possible the cable is damaged but the fact the phone is working gives some hope it is not - the cable under the drive is a shotgun cable one for BB the other for phone

it may be you are over thinking it and its a fault on the BB part of the system - check here - there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level

it may also be that it sorts itself out - if not ring it in as a fault and get a tech out

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks. No local faults and technician now booked

It came back on and then off again.  I have driven the car over the driveway a few times so it maybe a loose connection