cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband wifi & lan connection

Rabinlivi66
Joining in

Hi I signed up for virgin broadband recently and I have the new hub 4, the wifi signal in my house was crap after several dozen phone calls to virgin they eventually sent me 2 of the new wifi pods but although my wifi has improved it still could be better as I have ring cameras which connect over the wifi but the signal isn’t strong enough as the one on my back garden won’t connect, I also have a houseful of smart devices which struggle at times to connect and I have attached a WiFi extender to boost the signal to the rear of my house to try and connect my ring cameras and this is connected with a lan cable and I have 2 other devices which connect with lan cables but when I connect them my sky tv boxes disconnect from the virgin wifi and I can’t reconnect them without disconnecting the lan cables at first I thought it was maybe the lan cables which where at fault so I bought new ones but it did not help and when I phoned up VM I eventually got put through to the tec team to be told that I can’t use the lan cables as it effects the wifi and I said surely there is a work around to enable both to work and I was told no you can’t do it.

surely this is incorrect as why do the hubs have the ability to connect with both as they have ports for lan cables and the ability for wifi.

Has anyone else had this issue and know how to correct this so I can connect with both at the same time?

thank you in advance for any advice or help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Rabinlivi66 wrote:

... phoned up VM I eventually got put through to the tec team to be told that I can’t use the lan cables as it effects the wifi and I said surely there is a work around to enable both to work and I was told no you can’t do it.

and the crap keeps on rolling on🤢

just send the pods back and get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Rabinlivi66 wrote:

... phoned up VM I eventually got put through to the tec team to be told that I can’t use the lan cables as it effects the wifi and I said surely there is a work around to enable both to work and I was told no you can’t do it.

and the crap keeps on rolling on🤢

just send the pods back and get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rabinlivi66, thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your hub. I'm unsure why you were told you can't use WiFi & wired connections at the same time - that is definitely not the case. Obviously the connection will be impacted by the amount of connected devices sharing the bandwidth, but if devices are just disconnecting as described that is not the same thing.

Just to confirm, is it just the sky boxes specifically that are having this problem, or any Ethernet-connected devices? I'm wondering if it's an issue with the Ethernet ports, or a problem with the Sky boxes specifically.

Tom 

Hi yes the sky box I have trouble reconnecting to the WiFi I also have ring camera WiFi cameras and the one in my back garden won’t pick up the WiFi even with the pods being used.

Another thing I was told on the phone is that I couldn’t change the network name or password to one of my choice as the pods could not connect to the hub 4. ( total crap I think)

I have since making this post bought a ASU’s 1gb router at a cost of just over £100 (can I claim this back fromVM somehow I don’t think they will agree to that but they should) which has improved my WiFi dramatically as I’ve put the hub 4 into modem mode and use a lan cable to connect to it.

My main point is why am I paying for a broadband service and having to buy other equipment to improve the WiFi signal, I think the hubs which VM use are not fit for purpose and if I could do it without it costing me money I would ditch VM tomorrow.

@Tom_F wrote:

I'm unsure why you were told you can't use WiFi & wired connections at the same time 

I'm not - Offshore will do anything to get you off the phone if your issue does not follow their script.........

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi Rabinlivi66

Thanks for coming back to us.

Did you split the WiFi bands when using the pods? If so, this will cause it to have issues as we would need you to enable the smart WiFi in the settings. combining both bands. 

We sadly won't be able to cover the cost of the new router but I am glad you've managed to get this sorted.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi yes I expected the answer regarding the cost of me having to buy an ASUS 1gb router 🤬 as to splitting the wifi no I did not do this as I didn’t know how to but after a little reading I now know you can do this, but as expected VM won’t accept the fact their hubs are not fit for purpose as I had sky broadband before and although it was not the best (in my opinion) but I could get a WiFi signal all over my house including by back garden!

As you can guess anymore trouble with this inadequate VM broadband and I will terminate the contract and I will either go back to sky or another service provider as even now with my temporary fix I am having to re-connect devices daily and still can’t receive a strong enough signal to enable my ring camera in my back garden to connect to the internet.

@Rabinlivi66 You've got the Asus running as router, and the hub in modem mode?  Or the hub in router mode, and the Asus in access point mode?

And are you still having devices drop off the network?

Hi yes I have the hub in modem mode and the asus as access point and as in my previous answer I am having to re-connect devices, I have also tried it with the hub and ASU’s running as wifi and any other set ups I could think of and still devices drop off.

My patients are running very thin at the moment so I am looking at my other options for a broadband provider. 😞

If you've got the hub in modem mode - what's handing out IP addresses?

Would the ASUS need to be in 'Router Mode' to have its DHCP functionality enabled? Access point mode won't have this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7