cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband to out building

debs20121
Just joined

We need to extend our internet from the house into our extension. We have a balcony on the back of the house and the room is underneath. We had an Ethernet cable running from the router outside along the wall then through the wall into a wireless n cable router. Is there another way?

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ethernet cable is the best way, you could get a better Wireless Access Point, an old WiFi N router will not give very good WiFi.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @debs20121, thanks for your post here in the community.

As @Tudor has mentioned, an Ethernet Cable is the best way of getting you connected in the extension, but if you require a wireless connection then a third party networking device would be the best way forward here.

Our Intelligent Wifi Pods may not be the best solution, as they require a wifi connection in order to work, so if you're not getting a wireless connection from your Virgin Media Hub in the extension then simply put, they won't work as they need to latch onto the existing connection.

As we don't support third party devices I can't advise a particular device for you, but our VIP's will help you if you need further assistance so please don't hesitate to let us know if you need further help.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As @Tudor has advised, as wired connection is the best way to go.  Have a look at PoE wireless access points, if all you need is wifi in the extension, something like the TP-Link EAP225 

However, if you need additional ethernet ports as well, then you can get wifi access points with ethernet ports, similar to this Netgear Wireless Access Point (WAC104) | Dual Band WiFi AC1200 | Desktop Easy Set Up : Amazon.co.uk:...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks