cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband signal strength

loukerr65
On our wavelength

New customer signed up on 20th Dec using the broadband for the first time last week and the signal didn’t even get to my daughters room, called, logged a complaint with both account manager and customer service to which I was told I’d get a call back and nothing!  
Same issues this week, only me working from home and zoom video calls drop consistently and then today, Monday, daughter can’t even get connected to google class room on brand new chromebook for school work. Awful service and customer support!  

im still waiting for my account manager, Martin, or customer service to call me back funny how they have waited till after the 14 day cooling off period!  
missold frauds are words which come to mind!!

I will never recommend this company! 

23 REPLIES 23

John thank you, lol when I read your comment sporadic yet stable, I’ll move to the router for the next 24/48hrs and test the cable.

and agree won’t be buying or renting the pods from virgin rather get my own kit, I’m sick of seeing the “your connect is unstable” message….then disconnect! Need to do something since I’m getting nothing from virgin themselves. Can I assume this absenteeism is normal customer service? 

honestly sticks in my throat, the high level of customer service from sky if and when there was an issue, can’t believe I’ve moved at this point! 
I’ll try the suggestions, appreciate it! 

Update!! 
On Wednesday night 12th Jan broadband dropped for 15-20mins at 615pm..ish! I didn’t have the patience or aspire to call and report it at this peak time so waited until 930pm and of course everything was fine by then. However given all the sporadic issues I’d been having with broadband, WIFI signal and the drop in tv service I took the time to register them all with the really helpful customer service rep and he kindly logged for a technician to come and visit me today, Friday 14th! 
Stephen called this morning, I explained everything even the fact it took nearly 3 hours to watch Encanto (via an Amazon stick plugged into main tv directly beside hub on Sunday evening) he scanned my house found numerous black stops and also witnessed the intermittent signal (which was actually quite lucky!).

Stephen was amazing, so friendly and kind!! Honestly nothing really he could do except start at the beginning, he replaced my hub and in doing so to ensure it worked installed a wired booster.

I’m on M500 so don’t qualify for any free pods but he did give me some recommendations to call and get one for the black spots if I feel the signal doesn’t improve or check out some cheaper options to purchase online, exactly what you good people have suggested!  

we have 10 devices connected (mostly Amazon for video a couple of phones and a chromebook) now via WiFi and a really strong signal that is stretching to parts before that we’re not connected! 
I do believe there was a hardware issue things seem to be going a lot better now! 
Will monitor over the weekend and next week with video calls for work and see if things have really improved but so far so good! 

Stephen was amazing, really helpful, great job, great service!!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Excellent - some progress at least !

If you start having wifi issues again post back here for help/info.

If you just want to do a bit of "homework" in advance I will copy the post I made some time ago with some suggestions/tips as a starter for 10.

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

What you ultimately go for depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable (e.g. an introductory Mesh with 1GB ports) - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand thank you so much and really appreciate the support!!