cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband router location

Craign123
Joining in

Hello all. 

I've recently join virgin media for just broadband and the engineer has install my Box on top of a electrical meter cupboard and near my gas meter.

• I've not had the WiFi for a month yet and I'm not getting the 200mbps I'm paying for. Now will the electrical meter be interfering with the broadband? Picture included with the location if you can see that. 
  • Thanks for your help 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Wifi speed will be bad from the hub your 200Mb speed can only be tested by wire.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Craign123, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Apologies for the issues with your internet, can I ask are you not receiving any connection at all through a wired connection?

Also are you not receiving speeds in certain areas of the household or everywhere?

Thanks,

Kain

Hi kain

I've not ran any wire connections up at the moment I did with my last Internet provider but virgin put my box nowhere near where that was so not as yet moved the cables. 

With the wireless the speeds are good in my living room but in the kitchen and all upstairs I only get around 30 to 60mb and that's using the speed checker on virgins website. 

Thanks

Craign123

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I know it’s too late now for you, but to help other customers, the technician can put the box almost anywhere you want in your home. If you don’t tell them where you want it, they will put it in the easiest place from them.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for you're reply. 

We did tell the engineer where we wanted it but was told he has to put it where he did cause he's not allowed to drill through door frames. But there isn't any doors in the way where we wanted it 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Obviously not installed where you requested it to be. Wait for a few days for a VM staff member to get to your post, it’s possible they can arrange for it to be moved for free.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am not sure why this wasn't installed where you had asked for this to be if that was the case @Craign123

I will send you over a private message to look into this for you. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.