cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband reliability

Loosecanons
Superfast

Hi,

Is there any way to check the reliability of our WiFi and broadband or router?

Over the last month we have noticed loss of signal on our phone, the V6 box keeps losing connection and rebooting as it us right now. It just sits there trying to connect.

We are also losing laptop connections either wired and WiFi on a daily basis. 

Has there been some sort of recent upgrade that has caused this as this is a recent phenomenon?

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
see this ...

Check for any “known network faults first - Try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

As wired connections are dropping can you do this....

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return.

If you have a Hub4 or 5 then login on the first page up. If you have an SH2 or Hub3 - dont log in just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page.

Then Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts
Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Loosecanons 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

I am sorry to hear of any issues with the broadband. I have done a system check and everything is fine, no issues or area outages. Levels are in spec as well and no issues with congestion nor SNR (signal to noise ratio. Please do follow jbrennand's advice (thank you as always) and post up the stats and BQM. 

I have also seen we've sent you a Pod which should help. There are a few requirements when it comes to having and using a Pod and these are below;

• The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'
• Channel Optimisation must be left on
• The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled
• The SSID must be password protected
• The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match

Also this should help as well - https://www.virginmedia.com/support/help/check-services/wifi-pods/setup/start

Keep us posted,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I tried to open the pod link you posted but it appears to be blank.

I have plugged the pod in. Do you know how I can tell its working?

Thank you 

Hi @Loosecanons,

Apologies, try this link here

Let me know if you need help with anything else. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs