cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband problems KT19 area

f825_633
On our wavelength

Hello Support,

I'm a member of the local neighbourhood app that shares local information in our area.

In the last week or so the forums have been alive with people asking if anyone else is having problems with their VM broadband connection.

Many have reported (and me too!) have called VM and been told “No Area problems known”, tests on the line show nothing and then it comes the regular script;

Can you turn off the router/modem.

Can you do a pin hole reset.

Can you check it again in two hours or a couple of days was told in the last call to wait a week for it to settle down!.

Really! your system needs a week to settle ? clearly these are excuses to get through the calls the stop people calling in for a period hoping the problem will resolve its self.

I am a network analyst and once we’ve identified problems its solved there and then!!! It doesn’t take another week to settle and heal.

Last night  around 21:45 we lost internet service for around fifteen minutes, I called in and whilst on hold it came back. This has been the regular pattern.

Note what I say at the top!, these “area” intermittent problems seem to be being experienced by many people in the KT19 area.

We happen to have a VM tech in the road yesterday visiting a neighbour and I spoke to him and he said there is a lot of “Utilisation” problems in the area at the moment, he wasn’t entirely certain why.

The levels and SNR on my connection are all within spec. verified by both your “off shore” call centre and the tech I spoke to yesterday who popped in after I spoke to him to do a quick check. So we don’t need techs to come out.

One thing he did say was that my router/modem is one of the older types and more sensitive to the problems of the network, perhaps call in and request a router be sent out and swapped over, its something I can do myself? – What do you think is this worth a try or will someone look a little deeper into the apparent area problems that the neighbourhood is describing on the local app but failing to get acknowledged when speaking directly to VM.

Just now, I’ve done a speed test ;

Server: Hyperoptic Limited - London (id = 14679)

ISP: Virgin Media

Latency:    17.08 ms   (2.39 ms jitter)

Download:   284.24 Mbps (data used: 546.5 MB)                              

Upload:    19.97 Mbps (data used: 62.5 MB)

This isn’t too bad, but it less than I’m paying for. It can drop quite a lot in the afternoons and the evenings – tending to support the over utilisation theory.

1 REPLY 1

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @f825_633

Which hub are you on?  Are you using any 3rd party equipment? 

There are a lot of tech guru's on the forum that can look into your issues, but rather than just posting the results of a speed test it would be helpful if you post he hub stats. 

When posting the hub stats they need the full details from the Router Status page. So please  copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here (not screenshots) – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. 

You should also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali