cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband ports clsoed by VM ?

vbcoen
On our wavelength

I have a hub 3 acting as a modem connected to a ASUS 86U.

I run a BBS system and have now opened up ports 21,22 and 23 to allow for access into my systems using telnet and ssh using port forwarding direct to the computer hosting such BUT any calls in using ssh or telnet the caller gets a message that the connection is refused., i.e., :

ssh: connect to host applewoodbbs.linkpc.net port 22: Connection refused

I cannot find out what is causing this so the question is does VM have these ports locked out for all and if so how do I get them opened along with some others ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vbcoen wrote:

I cannot find out what is causing this so the question is does VM have these ports locked out for all and if so how do I get them opened along with some others ?

The ports blocked by Virgin Media can be seen on this page https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/enhance-your-wifi-security

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi vbcoen, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community.. 

We have found a page that may be helpful. When you have a moment please check it out here.

Let us know if this helps and if you have any further questions. 

Thanks 

Nat

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vbcoen wrote:

The ports blocked by Virgin Media can be seen on this page https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/enhance-your-wifi-security

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

vbcoen
On our wavelength

Resolved - problems caused by the fact that sshd not set up and telnetd not running.

Possibly caused by update of distro version not updating these services correctly, and I did not check that it did.

Ports 22,23 now working but I will removed the telnet service As soon as I can as it's an accident waiting to happen!.

Thanks for the replies,

Vincent