cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not working since installed

AllieAS
Joining in

I was told to start a new thread from my tweet. 

We had the internet installed in our house on 23rd June. 

1st July a second engineer came out to 'sort it out'. 

We can still only get a stable connection in the room right next to the hub. 

None of our phones work on the internet. 

The connection is not even strong enough for a laptop in the room next door. 

The tv in the room next door - box keeps disconnecting from Internet. I have to reboot router at least 2-3 times a day. 

We paid to have it set up as in our old house, where all of our tv boxes 'speak to one another' - that hasn't happened. 

The boosters have been plugged in but don't work. 

the cable out the side of our house is slung over the porch, not even tacked on. 

I'm paying fro 600mbs and getting max 300. When I'm lucky I get around 200. 

it's ludicrous and I am appalled that you are charging me £90 a month for this shambles. 

Rang - got hung up on twice.
Online chat - get cut off. 
When I do get through I get told that there has been a known error in the area since mid-June. Sorry, not good enough. 

How the hell do we get this shambles sorted? 

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If there is a known problem in your location it will show on the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), and/or on the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

Re your connection, are the issues wifi only - that is - are ethernet cable connected devices stable and giving good speeds? If you dont know - can you test it?

Then... if it is a wifi only issue, then your new location may be more "challenging" than before, so on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”) are your pods or old boosters. Pods are now free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you but you say not?.

Also, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for your response. I have bolded my answers so they are easy to identify ... 

There is no known error in our area. Virgin use this excuse to fob us off, but when we check it says there aren't any. 

Ethernet cable connected devices work. 

"To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”) are your pods or old boosters. Pods are now free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?"  - we have an old white booster - they told us they don't supply anything else. 

I'm sorry but the tech speak just goes over my head! We have paid to have a technician from Virgin sort it out - we are paying for that service. We don't expect to have to be technicians to make it work 😞   

Thank you for your help, I would really like to hear from VM as to why they aren't doing anything to sort this out? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - it sounds like its a wifi only issue and you dont want to mess in the Hub settings or source your own equipment

In that case VM are sorting it by discontinuing old style boosters (they were never really any good) and now you can rent their superior solution - the Pod(s) - it will cost you £5/month but its a simple solution if you are not tech minded - and they are back in stock now. Just call in and ask for them.

For comparison BT charge £10/month for their similar solution.

AIUI if they dont sort the problem for you you can return them at any time and stop the payments and seek your own solution.

A VM person should respond to you on here in a day or two and offer to order them for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

well interestingly, the broadband has suddenly started working and I received this email:

We wanted to give you a quick heads-up that your home WiFi’s just been optimised to correct a WiFi traffic jam.

Here’s what’s happened

With Intelligent WiFi tech on your Hub, it regularly checks on your WiFi performance to give you a better experience online.

Recently, it found that your gadgets were running into a bit of a WiFi traffic jam, so it’s switched them to the quietest lanes – or WiFi channels, as we call them.

Want more WiFi tips?

If you ever experience any hiccups or slow WiFi, head here for a handy step-by-step guide to get you back up to speed.

Hope this helps!

and then laptop and tv won't connect again. 

it's a joke!

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, AllieAS,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connection issues. How has things been since your post?

I have run a remote diagnostic and have not been able to identify any issues with your connection.

We can also provide online broadband help here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/services-support/broadband

Let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,

Corey C

Slow, unstable. 

I have managed to get the tv boxes working. But everything else is not consistent. 

Thanks for your reply, it may be in your case that the wifi pods will help: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-new

Cheers,

Corey C

So the only way to get on the internet right now to even type this is to hotspot off my phone. Which is what we are doing all day just 5m from the hub. 

It's the biggest joke!

Our tv keeps freezing just 5m from hub. And now you want more money from us for something that should already be working. 

I really wish we could just ditch Virgin Media. I have never had such a shoddy service.