cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not working due to faulty cable - VM ignoring me and engineer won't change the cable

DontSubToVM
On our wavelength

When installing the broadband at my place, the engineer made mistake and stapled THROUGH the cables (the staples are piercing the cable), which result in a lot of interferences with the signal and I get disconnected often and it take anywhere from 5mn to 1h to come back on its own, rebooting the router doesn't always work.

1. VM wrongly installs the broadband

2. VM ignores all my pleas to get help (even go as far as telling me on the phone to reboot the router twice a week for 5 weeks to fix the issue, clearly thinking I was stupid and not realize that's not gonna change anything)

3. VM finally sends an engineer after I spent a long long long time asking for help

4. Engineer identifies an issue with cabling and request assistance from VM to do something about it

5. VM ignores their engineer and me, two months of pleas pass

6. VM tells me I can only get further help by posting here (even though they already sent an engineer that found issues and was waiting for assistance from VM)

7. Finally another engineer sent to, what I thought was going to fix the issue, but he just came to identify if there is an issue eventhough previous engineer found one

8. Second VM Engineer find issues while diagnosing my router (what a surprise), identifies it to be from the cable installation (what a surprise) and thinks it's to due with staples going through the cable (like, piercing it), he removes the staples and leaves without fixing the damaged cable. They gave me some weird **bleep** excuse not to change the cable, I think they were just being lazy/wanted to save time.

9. Issue is happening more frequently now, I spent another 15quid on giffgaff goodybag as my O2 monthly allowance ran out due to having to use my phone data instead of faulty VM broadband

Overall I have spent over 50quid in mobile data to cover for the lack of broadband since end of May

I have spent over 80quid paying for my virgin media package that is not working since end of May

I have spent countless hours on the phone, on twitter, here, or with engineers trying to get help.

The broadband is still not working. Two engineers have now identified the (same) problem but have done nothing to actually fix it.

Virgin media is still mostly ignoring me and has yet to help me with the cost this is inuring me.

At what point am I allowed to get out of my contract and at what point can I open a case with small claim courts to get reparation? I work as a data engineer from home and have lost a lot of time and money due to this issue as well.

All I ask is for VM to fix their mistake. This isn't even the first mistake they did on this contract that made me lose broadband... I am sick and tired of having to beg to get assistance for something that is not my fault. 

PS: Here's the broadband monitor https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3297a1811d50d38907b71668988d684755...

Do not reply to this telling me to do a pinhole reset or some other basic help that you can find on their countless articles. I have spent over 2 months dealing with automated web chat/phone line telling me the same things. I tried it all. What you need to remember is that TWO SEPARATE engineers found an issue while diagnosing the router, they also identified the same source for the issue (the cable installation). I am not looking for community help, I am looking for VM to see this and realise they screwed up and finally decide to actually help me before I take this to court.

60 REPLIES 60

Hi Paul,

Please have a read through the latest posts as the situation changed.

No idea why it's still not resolved.