cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps going down

NeilAllen
Tuning in

Hi broadband keeps shutting down its been going on for weeks now, been in touch with virgin and been told it's Apple iPhone and blind spots in the house.

I have brought a mesh WiFi and still have  problems, it shut down today all I got from virgin was he wanted to sell me WiFi extenders, how do I get this fixed.

Kind Regards

Neil Allen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly... Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

Also what make and model of Mesh system did you get and did you set it up with the Hub in modem mode and using the "correct sequence"?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly... Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

Also what make and model of Mesh system did you get and did you set it up with the Hub in modem mode and using the "correct sequence"?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

NeilAllen
Tuning in

Hi John started playing up before we had WiFi extender. I put it down to 02 merger with virgin.

It goes off between 1pm and 2pm also 1am and 2am and sometimes at 8am.

We use nowtv and when the system goes down it takes up to 15 minutes to start working.

The mesh WiFi is  tp-link from pc world, it works with any network, I have had virgin for years but never had trouble before.

We only have WiFi in the house

Kind Regards.

Neil Allen

Hi John

100 fibre broadband

Thanks Neil

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK some Q's.

What TP-Link model of mesh system is it?
What wifi extender do you have (or do you mean the Mesh?)
Is the Hub in modem mode?
What Hub model is it (on its sticker/card)?
Have you got a BQM running? If not set one up as per below.

Note you can connect any device that has a "port" directly to the Hub by ethernet cable using an adaptor (see Amazon) - I have them for my iPhone and Macbooks that have no ethernet ports - you should consider getting one. Certainly any devices used for "gaming" should be connected on ethernet cables and not wifi

BQM: If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi John

Kind Regards

Neil Allen

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi NeilAllen.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry, you have been having issues, I have located your account and can see your hub is unreachable can you ensure this is switched on and in the open.

If you could answer @jbrennand questions so the community can best assist you with your issues 🙂

Zoie