cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband intermittent packet loss

ardillar
Joining in

Hi all,

Our broadband connection is generally fine, we use the VM hub as a modem with a TP Link router behind it. Some days though it is very unreliable and the cause seems to be packet loss.

Speed tests show upload and download speed are great but RDP via windows Remote Desktop is laggy and often disconnects, similar issues with online gaming and sometimes streaming on less robust apps.

BQM graph today is typical, periods with no packet loss and then something seems to happen and long periods of 5+% packet loss occur: BQM for today If I set up a continuous ping to something external I see the packet loss there too, e.g. consistent sub-20ms latencies to 8.8.8.8 but then frequent 'Request timed out' packet drops scattered amongst them.

Does anybody know if this is a common problem? Is it likely to be issues appearing and being fixed on the lines or something to do with our setup in the house? What would be the best way to diagnose it and raise it with virgin media if necessary?

I've run that BQM for almost two weeks, it will sometimes go days without really seeing any packet loss (saturday and sunday especially, is it to do with peak traffic?), but then it can go hours or days with the packet loss being more severe.

Any help or advice much appreciated, thanks for reading!

2 REPLIES 2

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello ardillar

Sorry to hear of the broadband connection issues experienced, we understand the confusion and concern this can cause and appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

From looking at the BQM the problem is at night, is this the same whenever you experience the issues? I'm eager to get this looked into further for you so will send you a Private Message to get some more details form you.

Rob

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Apologies for the delays ardillar, I've taken a look and it shows the Hub is currently in modem mode so the details I can see here are limited. If it's possible, can you take it out of modem mode and let me know so I can look at the details?

It's also showing as a SuperHub, have you never looked to update this?

Rob