cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband extremely unreliable

Dom1126
On our wavelength

Hey all,

This is my first post on here after having such a horrific time with Virgin I decided to have a look at if people are going through similar.

I took out a contract with Virgin Media in November 2022 with friends/family telling me it has the fastest speeds. After day one of installation I noticed drops in speed and in some cases loss of connection, after calling and speaking to Virgin then swapped my Hub 4 for a Hub 5 thinking this should fix the issue. It didn't. Fast forward to consistent phone calls (nearly every other day) Virgin finally booked an engineer, who couldn't find a fault but said he could see we had over 70 disconnects and speed drops just during the last week! He changed a few wires and explained it could take a little while for the speeds to adjust but it still made no difference. Virgin then booked another engineer who came out about a week later to say the exact same as the previous engineer but did say the wiring underneath the ground that connects to the green box needs to be replaced. Fast forward 2 weeks which is today an engineer came out from a third party company and changed the wiring under the ground and said he couldn't see any problems but changed it anyway but yet again it still has not fixed the issues. There is another engineer booked for Thursday and this will be my last hope before I cancel altogether. The people I have spoken to on the phone except one person have been horrendous, repeating the same thing constantly, reading off a script but in actual fact has no clue about how broadband works.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and what was the actual issue?

16 REPLIES 16

cje85
Trouble shooter

Do you have a BQM set up? They can be useful for diagnosing faults.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Dom1126
On our wavelength

I have, I showed both engineers my results, they can clearly see there is a problem and told me a repull is needed as a last resort but since having the repull, it hasn't fixed the issues. I'll post my results over the next day or so now the new router is installed but I can already see just in the space of a few hours the issues are still very much there. 

I cancelled my account earlier on today, however if anyone can point out what could be causing the issues and what Virgin can do to fix it, I would reconsider my cancellation. 

Dom1126
On our wavelength

Between yesterday and today....Between yesterday and today....

Dom1126
On our wavelength
Not sure why it says it's solved from this answer

Dom1126
On our wavelength

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 23-59-38 Broadband Quality Monitor thinkbroadband.png

Screenshot_20230217_120105.png

The first picture is Virgin Media broadband & the second one is SSE broadband.....massive difference. How can SSE get it right first time but Virgin still can't find a fix? I have been waiting for management to call me for the past week with still no phonecall, I call back ti find out why only to be told the same thing "a manager will contact you in 24hours" I have honestly never experienced anything like it.

Is there anyone on here from Virgin or from any other outlet that can figure out why this is happening?

Hi @Dom1126,

I can see you have been speaking with my colleague, Zoie, in PM and she has referred this to the Area Field Manager for you to check if something is amiss given that you have had a replacement hub and several tech visits. 

We will keep you posted. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dom1126 wrote:
Not sure why it says it's solved from this answer

The OP in this thread has clicked "mark as helpful answer" against post#3, this can be easily changed by the OP.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks