cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping

bigwig25
Tuning in

I had my socket moved (fantastic job from the engineer) because I was concerned my dog would damage it.  However where it is now, the signal keeps dropping causing my tv to buffer and occasionally say there’s no connection.  I’ve done diagnostics and it’s ok for a while and then it goes again.  Regrettably I will have to have the socket moved again.  Could you schedule another appointment for the engineer to come please.  Sorry about that.  Thank you very much.

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are the drops occurring on the devices connected on wifi? Could be that the new location is poorer for that in your property.

Its a common issue - the best solution is just to connect your TV to the Hub on an ethernet cable - can you not just save the £25 moving charge, and do that?

There are also other ways to get better wifi to the TV.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

bigwig25
Tuning in

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately inlet socket upstairs, tv downstairs!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - See this re. improving the wifi

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you.  I’ve just dug out my TP Link set from 4 years ago.  I’m hoping that will work.  I’ll check after I’ve watched the football!  Incidentally for some reason I can’t get it live, so I’ve resorted to 2 mins behind on BBC iPlayer!

Hi bigwig25,

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear you've been having some connection issues since the socket move.

How have things been with your TP Link up and running?

Let us know if this is still something you need help with.

Alex_Rm

I spoke to someone at Virgin this afternoon, especially as I can’t get BBC1 either.  All the other channels are fine but I can only watch BBC1 on iPlayer which doesn’t have subtitles and I really need them because of hearing problems. They are going to move the socket again, to nearer the TV, at the beginning of April and they say it should solve the problem.  I was a bit upset it needed this as I was assured there would be no problem with moving it in the first place.  The only good thing is that they won’t be charging me to move it again. The TP Link doesn’t seem to have helped.  Thanks for asking.

Hi there @bigwig25 

Thank you so much for your post and thank you for your update. We are glad that you have been able to discuss this with the team and we do hope they are able to resolve this for you with the move.

Please do let us know how things go after the visit?