cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping out

Anth-Kane
Joining in

I've recently upgraded my broadband from 500mb to 1gb. Since then my WiFi keep dropping out all the time. I've had the cable in the garden replaced and the cable in the house replaced and I've also got a virgin booster. None of this has made a difference. Plz help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Still waiting on the hub logs.

You need to post them as text not images 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

24 REPLIES 24

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

When they replaced the cabling what did they say about the network connection as they left? Did the tech say it all looked good on their equipment?

Although the Tech should have done this... its worth a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated" cable loose ends or loose wires on the connectors . Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply. So originally the engineer said there is noise on the line so they replaced the cable in the garden. When the issue persisted they replaced the indoor cable. When the guy checked it stayed steady for 3 speed test but within an hour it was all over again. Hardwire also bounces about but nowhere near as bad. I also only get 500mb hardwired.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Lets have a look at the connection data - can you do this.....

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0. and hit return. On the first page up Login with the settings password (not the wifi one) page and then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page.

Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

- Also -

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I'll have a look into this tomorrow. Thank you and I'll be in touch.

Hi sorry for the delay as I wanted to run it for a while. According to this data the only dropouts I'm having are only during the night when everyone is in bed but the doesn't show the drop out I'm getting during the day. Could the hub be faulty?

The BQM will show complete connection drops, not individual device drops.

Post a share link to the BQM so we can see. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

It's a weird one. I'm getting dropouts all the time but non of the data backs up what is actually happening in my house.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Post up the network logs and the BQM

It could also be wifi interference from internal or external devices - e.g our new Panasonic Microwave disturbs the wifi connection when its operating.

--------------------
John
--------------------