cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping daily

Piv
Joining in

My Wi-Fi during the day is dropping out regularly - can run test via the app as no broadband connection and then unsurprisingly when it comes back on the test shows up all is OK. It’s highly infuriating and has thrown me and wife off work calls. 

As an aside it must be the hardest company to actually speak to someone to try and get the issue resolved - automation is great but if everything is web based and reliant on your connection it again proves pointless when trying to resolve your connection being down🤯

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
________

Firstly... Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your response.

It is more a complete dropping of the Wi-Fi completely so Hub/line to the hub- it is particularly bad during the working day.

we have done the hub reset numerous times - it’s a hub 3.

as mentioned all diagnostic tools are online so simply don’t work, until the Wi-Fi comes back (which it does) and hey presto when you run the test the speed is way above what it even had been before.

we only have one booster which isn’t suffice for our home but again as the test keeps showing a reading of over 20mbs in a room it says it’s “great” - it’s often down at 4mbs when we have run from another App.

any idea how you can get more boosters so we can spread round the house??

thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What happens on an ethernet cable connection when wifi drops?

If thats all fine and it looks like wifi only ... then see this

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max & https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi 

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
More boosters...the hub is the problem...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Piv 👋,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. It's great to have you with us here 😊

I am sorry to hear that you've been having some issues with WiFi and not had much luck getting any support. 

This isn't the level of service we aim to provide and I would love to help you further!

Checking things this end, there is a WiFi Pod signal issue that has been identified.

The signal level to the Pod is lower than recommended and suggests it needs relocating.

You might need to try it in a few places to see where it’ll give you the best WiFi coverage throughout your home. Once you’ve found a good spot, leave it be.

We have some tips 👉 here that you may find helpful.

Give that a go and let us know how you get on so we can offer further support if required.

Thank you!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs