cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband down

one9eighty
Tuning in

Any advice would be appreciated.

ST6 area. 8-9am my broadband went down. Power light was green, WiFi light green, arrows flashing green. It came back on eventually.

The same happened 12-1pm, and then again it went down at 3pm and hasn't come back on yet. 

It meant that I've had to cancel teaching sessions I do for work at a local hospital which is frustrating. 

Service checker says there are no problems. The virgin app says there are no problems. The tivo box says there are problems, but the biggest issue is my router - and the light sequence on there suggest there definitely is a problem. 

Called customer care who told me an engineer will call back within 8 hours and they said its likely to be a faulty router. I disagree it's the router with how intermittent the problem has been today. We've done multiple reboots and even a pinhole reset. Checked all the connections too FTR. 

Anybody got any other idea to try while I wait? 

29 REPLIES 29

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I think you have no connection - 1 Down channel instead of 24! Call it in on 150 (VM Phone - free) or 0345 454 1111 (any other phone - national rate) and see what they say when they see you have no connection.

In the meantime try a pinhole reset like this.

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible. If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that restores the missing channels and connection

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Even before the pinhole test it randomly came on... But that only last for half an hour, its back off again 😞 

I'm currently still waiting for the engineer call back but I'll definitely mention the no connection/channels thing. Its kind of what I told them earlier but all they wanted to do was for me to do soft resets of the router, before saying its a router fault.

I'll give the pin reset a go, I've got plenty of sim removal pins from working in telecoms in a previous job. Also, force of habit, I've still got the orional backup password/code stickers in a safe place.

Thanks for your continued support John - massive help!!

Cheers,

Martyn 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They often dont call back. I will flag now for VM to come here and take a look and contact you

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Pinhole reset didn't make much of a difference. It didn't come on at first and  showed the same light sequence as earlier. Then I came on so I kept my fingers crossed that it actually had worked. But sadly it's just gone off again, back to square one. Same light sequence FTR. Sad times. 

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @one9eighty,

Many thanks for your recent post! I'm so sorry to hear of the broadband issues you were experiencing yesterday.

I've been able to locate your account using your forums details and have run some checks from our end - currently the levels are all within spec and all channels are listed. 

The live BQM link is also showing that the broadband has been quite steady since later last night.

Are you able to confirm whether you're still experiencing a loss of service at the moment?

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Molly,

Thanks for getting touch, I've lost connection this morning too, not for as long as the connection was lost yesterday but still a loss of network all the same. If the loss of connection is going to be as intermittent as it was yesterday then its going to affect my ability to work from home. I'm an IT Trainer for 2 different hospitals and yesterday I was in the situation where I lost connection while teaching, or had to cancel via my mobile phone because I just couldn't get online at all. 

The times it went yesterday were between the following times:

0800-0900, 1200-1300, 1500-1600, 1800-1900, 2000-2030.

I hope this helps.

After speaking to customer services yesterday they said it was the router that was the problem, and that I'd get a call back within 8 hours. I disagreed it was the hardware - I'm an ex telecoms technical support advisor and had an old router available to try and that also received no connection. I was unable to pass this information on because I didn't get the promised call back yesterday.

Any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks, Martyn 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@one9eighty wrote:

Hi, it says TiVo on the screen when I'm watching TV but a quick image search shows my device as a v6. Every day is a school day! 

Completely irrelevant for the thread issue, but as general info:

TiVo is the software platform on which the TiVo-box and V6 both run. Common parlance refers to the "TiVo" box and the "V6" box as they're very different hardware-wise. But they both run TiVo-software.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @one9eighty,

Thanks for your reply - I'm so sorry to hear you've experienced further issues. 

The old router that you have tried - is this an old VM router? If so, this would not necessarily work due to this not being linked to an active account.

Are you able to confirm if there is any other equipment connected to the hub (any 3rd Party Devices / boosters etc.) and if so, how is the connection if these are disconnected?

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Molly,

I have a virgin booster that is connected via an ethernet and plugged into a socket. Other devices connected are a games console and a cctv unit. While experiencing the issues yesterday and trying to diagnose the problem, I unplugged all physical connections and turned off any device which would have been connected via WiFi. It didn't make a difference though I'm afraid.

Thanks, Martyn 

Thank you for letting us know @one9eighty.

In this case, would you be happy for us to proceed with an engineer visit to further look into this issue for you?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs