cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnect issue

neilrmason
On our wavelength

Hi

Over the past few weeks I have noticed at certain times in the day my broadband drops and becomes very unresponsive. For the last few days this has been around 12 o'clock.

I have performed a factory reset, which appeared to help a bit, but upon reading the forum it would appear my issues might be worth further investigation. I Have run a Broadband Quality monitor for today which supports the issues I have experienced. I would say that I was not at home today when it happened.

I will try to post the hub connection data as wellVirginMediaLog.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts guidance next steps in advance

Neil

64 REPLIES 64

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @neilmason

Thanks for getting back to us. Would you like me to reschedule your appointment for another day in the 8am - 1pm time slot so that the visit will occur during the outage time?

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi Serena

my man Tommy who has been helping me through this is going to speak to the assigned engineer tomorrow to see if he can get him to come at 11:30 so I am hoping that approach works.

Also Tommy told me there is a ticket out for review of noise in our area which might be an interesting development

as always thank for your help and will keep you posted

Neil

hi All,

just to update you all after the engineers visit today (Ben). 

I realised that I had the opportunity to start a Broadband Quality Monitor with one of our neighbours. I should have done this earlier, anyway that kicked off at 11:00 wish today. Their trace was so much better than ours and no mysterious outages at 11:37 and 11:48. Ours was still there of course

Anyway, I guess the reality of this was that there was something in the house that was pushing too much noise back down the line. But what

In discussion with Ben there was one item in the chain, a signal booster (Virgin Media supplied and installed I hasten to add) that he was not convinced about. That was removed.

Ben also checked the connection coming from the street where is splits from the umbilical cord (as I call it) as well as testing the feed before it taps off into my house. This signal appeared fine, but Ben was not happy with the cable connection so replaced that as well. 

So now it is a waiting game for a day to see what happens, so far the quality log looks OK. I wonder if the 11:37 / 11:48 outages might be linked to the Tivo box doing something, although it is not normally on during the day, and could it be doing something in conjunction with the signal booster that was causing a noise problem back down the line. There is no doubt the signal booster was definitely a cause of additional noise.....

I am feeling optimistic but will keep you posted tomorrow......

thanks again to all helping me, it is so very much appreciated

Neil

Hopefully a final follow up

no drop outs today

hooray. 

Thanks for all your help

Neil

Hi Neil, 

Thanks for coming back and updating the thread. 

We're really glad things have been resolved and the dropouts aren't occurring again. 

Fingers crossed this remains the case and no further drops will happen. 

If they do, pop back to us here.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs