cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection worse than ever

simpsonk
On our wavelength

Been having Wi-Fi issues with hub 2, so was suggested to upgrade to hub 3.0.  This has been cutting out more every day and it’s getting frustrating trying to work from home with connections dropping regularly. Any suggestions? Should we move to hub 4 instead? 

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No the Hub4 is no better.

Firstly... Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

If its wifi only there are some things to try. What package are you on?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It’s only Wi-Fi ( don’t have any Ethernet connected devices). The hub has been swapped to a hub 3 and this is worse as the signal doesn’t reach the next room. 

Engineer has been round and all connections are secure and there’s no faults up to the router, he says. 
Have set up a BQM now and see dropped packets showing. Will keep an eye over the weekend but it’s definitely gotten worse. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you do not have any Ethernet devices you cannot say that it’s WiFi only, may well be a circuit fault. Please go to 192.168.0.1 and post your up/downstream stats and network log. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @simpsonk,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that you are having Wi-Fi issues.

Please can you let us know how the wired connection is for you as suggested by @jbrennand, also you mentioned that the connection drops frequently? Can you set up a BMQ chart for 24 hours so we can see these dropouts?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @simpsonk

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing connection issues, I appreciate this is super frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

How have things been posting? Do you have the live link to your BQM so we can take a look at things for you? 

Ideally, I'd advise running a speed test via ethernet to see how things are performing over a wired connection. This will help us figure out if this is a broadband or Wi-Fi specific issue. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

simpsonk
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

sorry it’s taken a few days to source a suitable length of Ethernet cable. I’ve also setup a BQM and it’s looking much better now with not many dropouts this past few days. 

The WiFi signal in the flat is poor the further away from the router but it’s a tiny flat and the old 2.0 router was much better. I’ve installed a booster to combat this. 

All this because I’ve installed a new 3.0 router. Pah ! 

Hi simpsonk, 

Thanks for coming back and updating us on how things are going. We're glad the dropouts have stopped. This means the issue is with the WiFi as opposed to a larger problem. 

You can try these tips and hints to optimise the WiFi as much as possible. The booster you've installed should help too. 

Please keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs