cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband coming and going

SW20
On our wavelength

Since the beginning of 2021 my broadband connection has been very unreliable. Some days it can drop 5-10 times for varying times and then come back to life for a while. It might be fine for a couple of weeks before deteriorating again.

I use an iMac with both an ethernet cable and WiFi connection, but that makes no difference. Turning off the WiFi during a down period usually prompts a 'no internet connection' alert, although the ethernet cable remains connected.

Any suggestions please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Definitely post the hub stats and set up a BQM as japitts suggests!

Someone should be spot if there is a problem
Navigate to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)
Don't log in!
Click on 'router status'
Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs. The forum software will remove the MAC addresses for you (you may need to click the 'post' button again).

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Others will (hopefully) shortly be along to advise on pulling the log & config data from your router and posting it up for checking, but...

Do you have a BQM running? If not, please set one up - takes all of 5 minutes and monitors your connection 24/7, providing excellent diagnosis of connection issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Definitely post the hub stats and set up a BQM as japitts suggests!

Someone should be spot if there is a problem
Navigate to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)
Don't log in!
Click on 'router status'
Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs. The forum software will remove the MAC addresses for you (you may need to click the 'post' button again).

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi SW20,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums.

I am sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some issues with your broadband connection since the start of this year now, I can certainly appreciate how frustrating that must be. 

I've been able to locate your account and can't see any issues with your connection specifically, however I appreciate you've mentioned that the issue is intermittent. I can see that you haven't rebooted in around two weeks, can you please reboot the hub and also perform a factory reset and let us know once you've done that? I'll then check your specs again for you 🙂

Thanks

Beth

Beth

SW20
On our wavelength
Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 09.25.12.pnghttps://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/813751def5106f4d53b313c181dc050d939f050b-16-07-2021

Many thanks for your responses. I set up a BQM last week, hence the above.

As suggested by Beth, I performed a factory reset on the hub shortly after 8am today (16 July).

I don't understand the data provided by the BQM, but I'm now wondering if the problem is Mac related rather than broadband. Following the factory reset I initially had broadband (ethernet and WiFi connected), then it dropped for about 5 minutes and came back again.

Hi SW20,

Thanks for coming back to us with further evidence to show your internet connection is intermittent. 

I had another peek at your services and I identified a connectivity issue that would cause performance related issues with your connection, like you have been experiencing. This issue is impacting at least 25% of the customers in the vicinity.

We've automatically raised the issue to our network teams who will investigate and fix the fault in your area.

We have no estimated fix date as of yet as it's only just been identified, but please come back to us whenever you want an update. 

Sorry for the inconvenience and frustration this might be causing!

Thanks,

Megan_L

SW20
On our wavelength

Thanks Megan, that's very useful to know the help is on the way!

You're very welcome SW20 🙂

Again, if you do want any updates please just come to us and we'll be happy to help. 

Just for future issues with your services and for any other users that are looking at this thread for help, I have a few links below that might help with general issues - 

• Our Service Checker is a good tool to use to check if there are any area outages ongoing with Broadband, TV, Landline and Mobile. It usually lets you know what is wrong and how long it's going to take for the engineers to fix (estimated time of course)
  • Your Online Account also has a good tool which helps diagnose a fault within your home network with your Broadband, TV and Landline, it will tell you what's up and what to do next. 
  • We also have a good section for faults on our website here - Help Website - it will give you flows for diagnosing and rectifying faults on a multitude of aspects. A really good link to bookmark!  

Thanks so much for your patience!

Megan_L

SW20
On our wavelength

An update would be useful please, because this ongoing problem is playing havoc with my work commitments. For the sake of my sanity it would be good to know that it will soon be sorted!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You will never get a "definite" fix date. Even when the engineers start getting into it they will only ever give estimates and then they often roll on past that.

Only sensible option if connectivity is critical is to have a back up option. A cheap Openreach package perhaps - or a 4G/5G data SIM and a MiFi router?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.