cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband band 5G loosing connection

sidomix
Joining in

Hello, the issue seems very specific, i was trying to explain one month ago to an advisor but just received an hub extender which didn’t help at all.

The issue im experiencing is that 5G (Which is supposed to be fast for my 5G capable devices) Is dropping connections from time to time. But 2G is working fine with no issues. My tv is connected to 5G and when im playing it just drops connection and ping goes skyrocket, sometimes even disconnects me from online lobby. All smartphones, laptops and iPads support 5g broadband antennas but  experiencing same issue. Pages stops loading for like 5min on all devices, if switching to 2G band it loads instantly. There is limitation on speed how much 2G can give and for me if i pay for 350mb which only 5G can support, i want to use 5G band without issues and connection drops. I cant find the problem, i think it’s a faulty 5g chip or hub is faulty. I will list the conditions so may be you will have an understanding what could be an issue.

1) Hub 3 is not obstructed and have shelf with open space on all sides.

2) Hub connected to pc via ethernet which never had connection drops.

5)Hub bands has been split to 2G and 5G for smart home operations

4)2G band dont have any issues (we have a smart home and almost all devices connected to 2G band which is arround 20 devices. They don’t loose connection, as far as i can see so far. Its been 5 months now.

5) House walls or reach is not a problem here, i can be in the same room and 5g just looses connection but wifi symbol is still there connected. That’s what annoys the most. While 2G operating fine the 5G is just playing up. Loosing connection like that like 3-6 times a day which imagine can be very annoying paying for such a expensive service.

6) Loosing connection doesn’t happen only evenings, this is 24/7 issue with my working pattern i can notice it happens all the time

If it’s worth to contact Virgin media for an broadband upgrade or replacement let me know, pr this is an software issue that can be resolved in some other way please let me know.

3 REPLIES 3

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Have you used a Wifi scanner to check for congestion on the 5Ghz channel and then choosing manually a less congested one?

Its worth noting that Wifi speeds and connectivity and not covered under your contract terms and are therefore not what you pay for. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Firstly, avoid using the term '5G' which is a term for 5th generation mobile/cellular - you seem to be talking about WiFi on the 5GHz frequency band, which is a different thing.

• Use a free WiFi analyser app (as already mentioned) to see if there is any neighbouring signal or apparent interference on 5GHz.
  • Try changing the wireless channel on 5GHz
  • Make sure all wireless drivers are up to date
  • try disconnecting/turning off devices to see if the issue stops - a 'rogue' device could be causing problems
  • Get your own better wireless router or mesh system and use the Virgin Hub in modem mode
  • Upgrading/changing the broadband is unlike to improve matters if it's a wireless issue.  How are wired connections at high speed?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi sidomix, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with devices connected on the 5Ghz network. 

When the networks are split, it can be worth reconsidering which devices you connect to which band. Any devices closer to the Hub would be better placed on the 5Ghz band. Any devices further away from the Hub would be better places on the 2.4Ghz band. The speed can vary on WiFi and you may not get the full speeds. These are only guaranteed through an ethernet cable connection. 

Taking a look at the account, I can see you've spoken to the team and they have already arranged for an engineer to visit. 

Please let us know how this visit goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs