Menu
Highlighted
AD_1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Broadband allowance fibre 20

When all my equipment has had its wifi switched off or completely powered down and the router switched on. The only thing on my WiFi network is my tivo box, something is using my allowance. From 100mb up to 300mb per day and sometimes even more. Its been happening at midnight or 1am in the morning usually also during the day as I have said only the tivo box is on. As I am on fibre 20 30gb per month something is using up my allowance. I have spoken to customer support but just fobbed off. There is nothing on what so ever. Has any one experienced this as the only way I can stop it is to switch of my router. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 2 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband allowance fibre 20

I don’t know the amount of traffic used, but the TiVo boxes get updates and programme guides at 01:00 every day. Your service is a very old one, all packages now have NO data limits. It maybe cheaper to upgrade. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
AD_1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. We used to have no limits but virgin kept raising there prices, so the only way I could reduce costs was to go to basic services these were suggested by virgin customer support. I would be happy to pay for my use but not for virgin to update my TiVo box which I'm already paying for. I would hope the updates for the box would be free. This was one of the things to check ,I was told to reboot the TiVo box and check to see if any data was used when it reloaded, nothing was used when I checked. I've only had this service for approx 4 months so 8 months to go before I am able to cancel and go to another supplier shame really I've been a virgin/ntl/ cable and wireless customer for over 28 year's just hope I can get some answers hopefully from virgin.

0 Kudos
AD_1
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 57
Flag for a moderator

This message seems to be under the heading of super hub 2 wifi it supposed to be in super hub 3,. Just an up date to my ghost use of my broadband allowance. If I go over my allowance on the virgin web site  page about data use it says just to help us out they will add on an extra  2gb maybe they know about the stealth use and they give the extra under the disguise as a friendly gesture 

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 5 of 57
Flag for a moderator

This is probably normal. The Tivo will be communicating periodically with VM's network and, also, there will be some broadcast traffic coming down the cable network and reaching the router.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 57
Flag for a moderator

I have 3 x Tivo boxes and absolutely zero WAN traffic between 00:00 and the morning.

Are you sure that the data allowance is actually imposed?

Anyway, in about a week's time the VM bods will get to this thread and provide advice, probably over Private Messaging for the account elements of the query.

Keep us posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
AD_1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seph, I can only assume its the tivo box, I check the daily use through the gragh on virgin Web site, under Explore my usage short cut, then check detailed usage, day so far tab. All appliances that use wifi have been switched off the only thing switched on is tivo and router.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 57
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You could disconnect the Ethernet cable to the Tivo for one night and the report back. It'll do no harm. The Coax cable is the main feed to the Tivo box - the Ethernet is used rfor on-demand and program guide.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
AD_1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 57
Flag for a moderator

That's a good idea did not think of that will give that a go this evening, and report back 👍 cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 57
Flag for a moderator

I’m confused.

TiVo boxes can’t connect by WiFi or, indeed, use a customer’s own broadband connection.

Not sure how a TiVo can be implicated as the guilty party.

0 Kudos