Menu
Highlighted
Bluestuart
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed Check

I have recently "upgraded" my broadband to the VIVID 200, previously was 150 but had been on this for a while, I also have a Super Hub 2, again I have had for a while.

My problem is since I have "upgraded" the WIFI is terrible, very intermittent, won't even work when sitting next to the Hub2, with every device from Laptop to phone. Previously it was pretty stable. Wired connection seems to be ok. 

I have looked through many posts and it seems almost impossible for Virgin Media to agree to change the router, I have tried and the call centre operator was pretty much useless and I eventually gave up! 

I have read many posts which recommend buying a separate router, which I am loath to do as I spend enough with Virgin to a least expect something that will work?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Stuart

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Superstar
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Speed Check

Do a pinhole reset to factory settings. With the Hub "on" push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold for a "timed" 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and Wifi networks should revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card.
If that doesn’t sort it - call it in as faulty. When you get through just say the wired connection is fine but the Hub is not broadcasting any wifi networks and you cannot connect any of your wireless device. Play their games of restarts etc., but be insistent and polite that there is no detectable wireless signal (they cannot test that) and you want an engineer to visit to fix their faulty equipment. When that happens the engineer will take a nonosecond to look at it and then simply swap it for a new Hub.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

there is no logical reason that the upgrade will affect wifi - it just a new config file to the hub - nothing else should change

obviously something has so post some levels from the hub

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and post the downstream and upstream figures

as you say wired is ok i would guess they would be ok but no harm checking

did the problem start as soon as you upgraded or could it be there is some other factor impacting on the wifi speeds

download inssider for a pc or similar for a phone and check the routers you have around you - it could just be coincidence that one or more routers have come on line and are killing your wifi - choose non busy channels

upgrading to the hub3 is likely not to improve the wifi - its no better than the SH2 - some say its worse

EDIT

just read the post above - a pinhole reset is a good idea but why here would be my question - if all that has happened is a new config file being pushed and wifi was good before then i see no reason to reset - but your choice

as to calling it in faulty - that again is your choice - if they agree you will get a hub3 - think hard if you want that

Tony
Bluestuart
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick reply, problem did only crop up when I upgraded, I will do what you have suggested and will post the figures.

Thanks.
Stuart
0 Kudos
Bluestuart
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, will try and if this doesn't work I will play the game.

Cheers

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Superstar
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

there is no logical reason that the upgrade will affect wifi - it just a new config file to the hub - nothing else should change

Tony - this is why I asked (in another thread) about Intelligent wifi on the Mighty Hub3.  If they have added/changed the "smart wifi" feature in the update to now include "Airtime Fairness" - I thought it could affect wifi connections noticeably ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

@-tony- wrote:

Tony - this is why I asked (in another thread) about Intelligent wifi on the Mighty Hub3.  If they have added/changed the "smart wifi" feature in the update to now include "Airtime Fairness" - I thought it could affect wifi connections noticeably ?

no idea - not seen anything documented - not that it might not have been and i missed it 

in this case though its not an issue or should not be as the OP says he is on a SH2

Tony
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Superstar
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

in this case though its not an issue or should not be as the OP says he is on a SH2

Good spot Smiley Happy

--------------------
0 Kudos
Bluestuart
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hope you make more sense of them than me! Smiley Happy

2019-03-13.pngUpstream2019-03-13 (1).pngDownstream

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Upstream power levels too high. You need a technician visit to fix. You’ll have to call customer services. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal