cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Quality Monitor no longer working?

Haravikk
On our wavelength

I've been monitoring my connection using ThinkBroadband's Broadband Quality Monitor for a while now, but as of about 6:30am this morning my graph is showing 100% packet loss despite my connection working fine, and my IP address being unchanged.

I tried looking for the WAN Ping Respond option that's supposed to be in the router settings under Advanced -> Tools -> Ping (at least according to ThinkBroadband) but that seems to have either disappeared or been moved. I've been able to verify that remote pings are still enabled by ping from a web server I manage, so remote pings can at least get to my router (and it responds), it just seems to be the ThinkBroadband BQM pings that aren't getting through.

I have noticed over the past couple of days that there have been some huge spikes in latency during peak hours, ThinkBroadband actually have an article on that. I haven't really noticed any problems personally as I tend not to stream or play online games much (I prefer to download and watch offline when services allow me to) but could this be related?

I'm just wondering if maybe someone has over-zealously blocked all of ThinkBroadband's remote ping requests so that they're no longer getting through? The BQM is a really handy tool so I'd like to get it working again if I can.

As I say, my connection otherwise appears fine, it's just the BQM that isn't working, but ThinkBroadband are adamant so far that there's no problem on their end.

My Broadband Ping - Broadband Test
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Raithmir
Dialled in
Mine does this a lot too. A reboot of the router fixes it, but it'll happen again at some point.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Raithmir
Dialled in
Mine does this a lot too. A reboot of the router fixes it, but it'll happen again at some point.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this article BQM showing peak time latency issues for Virgin Media users | thinkbroadband

What Hub or Router are you using?  AFAIK all VM Hubs respond to the BQM ping if it's enabled.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Haravikk
On our wavelength

@Raithmir wrote:

Huh, the reboot seemed to do the trick; that's odd though, as this is the first time that it's happened and I've had a BQM running for probably over a year by now. Strange as well that it would stop responding to BQM's pings but other remote pings (from my web host) worked fine? Could it be a twitchy firewall issue?

Anyway, thanks for reply!

My Broadband Ping - Broadband Test

Yeah I'd guess some bug around the firewall on the router. I understand earlier hubs had a setting specifically to enable ICMP/Ping, but not on the hub4.

Anankha
Problem sorter

Same has been happening for me for several weeks or more now, as I have internet I’ve not bothered reporting it as I thought it was temporary. I have a Hub 3 & the Ping setting BQM mentions is not there.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi all,

Thank you for your posts. I am really sorry to hear that you seem to be having some issues with the readings on your BQM graphs.

If your service/connection is also impacted, please let us know and we can assist you from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

RPB
On our wavelength

Since I got my new Hub 3, I have no way of getting the broadband monitor to work as there is no setting for ping or whatever.

The weird thing is, it worked on its own, then stopped for a week, then worked for a while and now its just stopped again and I am doing nothing inbetween. There is no setting for incoming icmp requests on my Hub 3.

Any ideas folks?

horseman
Alessandro Volta

@RPB wrote:

Since I got my new Hub 3, I have no way of getting the broadband monitor to work as there is no setting for ping or whatever.

The weird thing is, it worked on its own, then stopped for a week, then worked for a while and now its just stopped again and I am doing nothing inbetween. There is no setting for incoming icmp requests on my Hub 3.

Any ideas folks?

Known resource/routing constraint on (particularly) Hub3(Intel Puma chipset variants) reported since Sept 2015!

I’ve used “https://f8lure.mouselike.org” as a backup to differentiate between TBB & F8LURE ICMP plots ! You can also explore Hub3 firewall component disabling dependent on whether you have v10 or v11  Hub3 hardware variants.

Can’t elaborate further as have been banned from helping users since 2019 by mid/upper management…….  YMMV

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED