cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Dropping Out Intermittently

James-H
Tuning in

Hi. Over the past few weeks, our broadband has been dropping out intermittently. It seems to have become progressively worse and it now drops out at least once a day.

This is extremely frustrating as my partner and I are working from home full time, especially as it takes about 10 minutes for the connection to be restored.

The power light on the hub goes green, then the Wi-Fi and Internet lights start flashing until everything comes back online. It's as if the Hub is rebooting - is this normal behaviour if the broadband connection is lost?

I tried phoning your technical support line and just hit a dead end. I've always got the help I needed here, so I'm hoping someone can help!

18 REPLIES 18

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am sorry, I have checked and everything looks fine, I have checked the latency within the area and there is nothing there either. 

Zoie

I have just had this issue again. This coincides with the following in the router Network Log:

09/08/2021 11:08:2criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:08:1criticalUnicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:08:1criticalRanging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:03:37criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:03:37criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:03:6criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:03:6criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:01:58criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:01:58criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:01:17criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
09/08/2021 11:01:17criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

@Zoie the problem is that you are checking when the broadband is up, which is why everything looks fine at the time. But as I mentioned above, this issue is intermittent, so it may look fine when it's up but the problem is that it keeps going down.

Hi James,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, we are sorry to hear this is still occurring and for the inconvenience, we do understand it is also very frustrating as it is intermittent and only seems to happen when we aren't checking things.

There won't be any surprise when I advise I have had another look and cannot see any issues either, please set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor ” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with us. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture. please run this for 72 hours and post the results here so we can have a further look into this for you.

Kind regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I have actually been using this for several days, so I can share some results now.

This is the last 24 hours...

a9c2dd22eccd11835cb37481b01081fc1c31890a.png

Below is a sample of a couple of the most disruptive days (i.e. during working hours) in the past week or so...

03/08
a9c2dd22eccd11835cb37481b01081fc1c31890a-03-08-2021.png

09/08
a9c2dd22eccd11835cb37481b01081fc1c31890a-09-08-2021.png

There are some days where there are no noticeable issues, such as Sunday (08/08)...

a9c2dd22eccd11835cb37481b01081fc1c31890a-08-08-2021.png

But overall, in the past few weeks, I'd say there have been more days with drop outs than not.

I'm not sure if it's useful at all but I was monitoring the Router Status last night when it dropped out. I noticed that the Downstream stats seemed relatively stable. But the Upstream stats were fluctuating quite lot. The modulation was going up and down between 16, 32 and 64qam every time I refreshed the page (every 5-10 seconds).

Under 'Upstream bonded channels' it showed the following:-

Screenshot_20210810-231007_Chrome.jpg

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @James-H,

Thank you for sharing this information.

I am sorry to see that this is not working for you.

I can see you had an engineer visit recently, can you tell me what the engineer advised?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley,

The engineer determined that there was no issue with the cabling inside and outside my home, up to the street cabinet.

He therefore referred the issue to the networks team. He updated me today to say that he hasn't received an estimated fix date but will check with network dispatch tomorrow.

In the meantime, I am continuing to have drop outs (in fact it's down right now).

Thanks,

James

Just to update you, I got a text from Virgin Media this morning saying "We've fixed the network issue affecting your services".

Fingers crossed this has now fixed the issue!

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi James-H

Thanks very much for popping back to keep us updated 🙂 I'm glad to hear the network issue has been fixed!

Please let us know how things are working for you over the next few days and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. 

Virgin keep denying there is any local service outage, but I have been having this problem for several days. My internet will drop out every few minutes for 1-2 minutes. I cannot work! This usually happens in the evenings between 8pm to 1am and I work for a company in a different time zone so its really difficult. 

please can you help:

I have my own thread with my data here: 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...