cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Disconnecting Frequently

Obsidionus
Tuning in

I recently installed the Hub 5 after receiving it as an upgrade from my previous Hub 2 model and have been noticing that the internet drops out for 30-60 seconds every 20 or so minutes.

This cuts the connection for my devices connected both via wifi and ethernet cable and it is frustrating to say the least as it was never an issue with the old superhub that i have been using for many years.

I have tried rebooting the hub as well as resetting it to see if it gets to the bottom of the issue however none of the solutions i have tried seem to make a difference. 

Is there anything else i can do on my end to get to the bottom of this issue? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can I clarify... you received a Hub5 (not a 3 or 4?) as a direct replacement for a (faulty?) SH2 - is that correct? Was it a self- or Tech- install?

I ask because the Hub5 is not officially released yet - it is only being offered to "selected" customers - who are in effect "testing" it for VM. Did you receive that invite ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yes, I received an email informing me that I would be sent out a new hub which could be installed manually at home.

Once I received this I replaced the old hub and followed the setup instructions that came with the box and had to call the support line for help activating it.

That was eventually solved and now everything is up and running however there are frequent disconnects and drop outs which never seem to last more than a minute or so but it will happen multiple times per hour.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK..... the Hub 5 is not released and ther are some Firmware issues being worked through so you can expect this sort of behaviour from it.

But are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

Also you could consider putting the Hub into modem mode and using your own better quality and tried and tested router and wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It is both the wired ethernet connection and WiFi that drop out at the same time and reconnect again at the same time.

While I have been using my desktop which is connected via ethernet the Internet will drop out at which time I usualy check my phone which is connected via WiFi and that loses connection over the same period the desktop is down.

I have consoles connected via ethernet in which i have the same problem I.e it will disconnect for less than a minute before it regains its connection.

Appreciate you're response on this matter.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See if there are any known problems in your location.... As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. 

If nothing is reported on those....  lets see the Hub data - do this...

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up login and then Navigate to these “pages” ....

Then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Obsidionus

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding your new Hub 5, I'm so sorry to hear you have been experiencing connection issues with your new Hub. I would like to take a look on our systems and run some diagnostics on your connection. I was unable to locate you on our systems from the Forum details you provided, so I shall send you a private message now to obtain the information required. Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner and get back to me when you can.

Kind regards,

Serena