cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Connection Problem

Twityk
Tuning in

I am having a problem with my broadband connection when using devices upstairs in my house. The broadband modem is located downstairs.

Background:

I have a Virgin Media Hub 5 on their VM200 package. My current devices are 1) Windows PC operating on Windows 10 which is connected to the hub via a cable (not wirelessly). 2) A 9th generation Apple ipad.  3) A Samsung Galaxy A33 Mobile Phone  4) A Panasonic Smart TV connected wirelessly.

I have noticed that when I am using the A33 upstairs the connection is very weak, resulting in the phone switching to Data most of the time.  The ipad seems to work OK.  I never have any connection problems with any devices downstairs.

I live in a small two up two down Victorian end of terrace house so nowhere in the house is very far from the modem. I would have expected my current modem to be more than strong enough to cover the whole property. The modem sits on a desk next to my PC and it is not hidden behind anything that might interfere with the signal.

I am not particularly tech-savvy but I am aware that historically it was wise to connect certain devices to either the 2.4GHz broadcast signal from the modem or 5.0GHz.  Historically, after doing some research, I was advised to connect devices that could potentially be taken some distance from the modem to 2.4GHz and other devices that are relatively close by to the 5.0GHz. Consequently my TV runs off 5.0GHz, as it’s only feet away from the modem, and my phone in the past was on 2.4GHz.  However, when I came to set up my new phone a couple of weeks ago and attempted to log into my network, it found my modem’s address Ok but there seemed to be no choice as to whether to log on to 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz. Is this because it’s now clever enough to automatically log in to the ‘best’ frequency?  I checked my TV and that is definitely on 5.0GHz but I don’t know what my ipad and phone are on, as the settings on the devices don’t differentiate between the two frequencies.  And even if I did know, would that make any difference to my ultimate problem – my phone not being able to get a signal upstairs?

This post is just an initial attempt to ascertain what might be the problem here.  Should I be contacting Virgin direct to get them to investigate the modem? Or maybe Samsung to see why their phone isn’t logging in to a network as expected? Any help or advice would be much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A DFS channel means that if a radar signal is detected the hub has to by law switch to a non DFS channel. It should switch back to the original channel at a later time, my switch back at 02:00 if there is no radar signal present, but I don’t know what VM hubs do as most of their settings are locked down and you cannot change. Generally DFS channels are fine unless you live right near an airport.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Twityk 

The hub 5 uses Smart wifi which is supposed to automatically link to the stronger of the 2.4GHz or 5GHz signals.

You might be able to improve performance by turning off Smart Wifi

Open the hub settings by typing in 192.168.0.1 in a browser window and logging in using the wifi network name on the bottom left of the base of the hub, and the hub settings password which is on the right hand side on the base of the hub (unless you changed the wifi name and settings passsword yourself)

Click on Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  at the bottom under Smart wifi click on Disable Channel Optimization and then click on Apply Changes and see if that helps.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you so much for your advice Dave. I have followed your instructions and will monitor.  I had a quick go with the phone upstairs and it seems much improved although even when I was having problems it would sometimes work ok for a few minutes before then playing up.  I'll be interested to see if I have any problems with the TV with buffering now that the settings have been changed.  As Channel Optimization has now been disabled do you how each wireless device connects? Does everything go for 2.4GHz or maybe all go for 5.0GHz or is it a bit random? Thanks again for you help.  

Tom

Dave, thanks again for your earlier advice. It was certainly worth a try. Unfortunately I was being over-optimistic in my last reply. The problem didn't go away. To summarise.......I have started to lose signal strength upstairs in my house. Downstairs (where my Hub 5 is located) I'm having no problems. All devices work there. Upstairs however my Samsung Galaxy A33 (and my old Samsung A10) can't maintain a signal. They work for a few seconds and then automatically switch to 4G. Frustratingly, they keep trying to log back into wi-fi but fail constantly leaving me no option but to switch off wi-fi on the phones and rely solely on data. My Virgin Media mobile contract only allows me 10GB of free data which can soon get eaten up! Curiously my 9th Gen ipad seems to work fine upstairs.

Since my last post I have been able to test out the issue on two other wi-fi connections. I stayed with a friend recently who is also on Virgin Media (with a Hub 4) and my Dad who has just had a BT modem installed. At my friends, the exact same problem occurred (downstairs fine, upstairs no signal). At my Dad's, absolutely no problem. Strong signal in every room in the house and his property is larger than mine!

I have been looking at various other posts on the community from people having connection problems and there seems to be many issues with devices not connecting to modems (especially in relation to the Hub 5). Various 'answers' to posts suggest going into the modem's settings at Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal and tweaking the settings. Dave, this is where you directed ME, and since then (after reviewing other people's posts) I have ended up setting these as follows:  Wireless 2.4GHz has been enabled. 2.4GHz 'channel' set to Auto. Wireless 5.0GHz Disabled. Channel Optimization Disabled. This has meant that so far all devices now work anywhere in the house. Signal upstairs is not at full strength but strong enough not to keep dropping out. This may sound like a success but I'm not particularly happy that I can't use 5GHz because, as other community contributors have indicated, it's the 5GHz band that enables Virgin Media's main attraction to come into its own - very fast speeds! 

I am at a loss to understand why all this 'tweaking' should be necessary in the first place. Virgin Media broadband is far more expensive than others on the market so Virgin Media customers should really expect a product that is straightforward and reliable. When sending me the Hub 5 (free of charge, thank you very much) the talk was all about more reliability, stronger signal etc.  In my case, not so much I'm afraid.  I would like to take this up with Virgin Media. Is this forum the best place to do this? Do technicians at Virgin Media actually review content on here? Or should I being approaching a different part of the organisation? Any comments on any of the above would be welcome. Thank you

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Twityk wrote:

I have been looking at various other posts on the community from people having connection problems and there seems to be many issues with devices not connecting to modems (especially in relation to the Hub 5). Various 'answers' to posts suggest going into the modem's settings at Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal and tweaking the settings. Dave, this is where you directed ME, and since then (after reviewing other people's posts) I have ended up setting these as follows:  Wireless 2.4GHz has been enabled. 2.4GHz 'channel' set to Auto. Wireless 5.0GHz Disabled. Channel Optimization Disabled. This has meant that so far all devices now work anywhere in the house. Signal upstairs is not at full strength but strong enough not to keep dropping out. This may sound like a success but I'm not particularly happy that I can't use 5GHz because, as other community contributors have indicated, it's the 5GHz band that enables Virgin Media's main attraction to come into its own - very fast speeds! 

I am at a loss to understand why all this 'tweaking' should be necessary in the first place. Virgin Media broadband is far more expensive than others on the market so Virgin Media customers should really expect a product that is straightforward and reliable. When sending me the Hub 5 (free of charge, thank you very much) the talk was all about more reliability, stronger signal etc.  In my case, not so much I'm afraid.  I would like to take this up with Virgin Media. Is this forum the best place to do this? Do technicians at Virgin Media actually review content on here? Or should I being approaching a different part of the organisation? Any comments on any of the above would be welcome. Thank you

Hi again Tom,

Please try the following and re-enable the 5G band by goinmg into Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal  and then clicking on Enable 5 GHz

Then click Apply changes to save it

Next go into Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security and add a 5 to the end of the WiFi Network Name (SSID)

It will then look something like VM123456785 and your 2.4 SSID will still be something like VM12345678

That differentiates the two networks so you, can then choose which devices connect to 5G going forward. Just remember that although 5G is fater the signal isn't as strong.

Also in that section make sure that the 5G WiFi Network Name (SSID) broadcast is set to Yes

Scroll down to the bottom and click on Apply Changes and see how you get on again.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks Dave.  Started to carry out your instructions but the following came up when I enabled 5.0GHz....

Channel 60 is a DFS channel.
Are you sure you want to use this channel?

Also, 1) Should I be leaving the Channel Optimization Disabled, 2) Should 'channels' be Manual or Auto, 3) What should Wireless Modes and Channel Widths be set to? 

See what I mean about things being over-complicated? Surely in a 'normal' sized property and using a small number of very common devices things should not have to be this complex. Maybe I'm being very naive. 🙂 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Tom,

All homes are different, but for what it's worth I'm on the hub 5 and live in a three bed semi and have mine set as follows

802.11 g/n/ax mixed for the 2.4 GHz connection and channel 6 (you normally choose either 1,6 or 11) channel width 20 Mhz

I'm on 802.11 g/n/ax mixed for the 5 GHz connection and channel 108 (DFS) channel width 20/40/80 Mhz

If you set the channels to auto then the hub will select which it "thinks" are the best.

If you leave the  Channel Optimization Disabled,it should prevent VM's systems trying to find the channel it "thinks" is best

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A DFS channel means that if a radar signal is detected the hub has to by law switch to a non DFS channel. It should switch back to the original channel at a later time, my switch back at 02:00 if there is no radar signal present, but I don’t know what VM hubs do as most of their settings are locked down and you cannot change. Generally DFS channels are fine unless you live right near an airport.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks Dave

I've set them all as requested except the Wireless Mode on the 5.0GHz. You recommend 802.11 g/n/ax mixed but the only options are:

802.11a/n/ac/ax mixed, 802.11n/ac/ax mixed,  802.11ac/ax mixed or 802.11ax. All slightly different to your suggestion. Which should I choose please?

After I've done all this do you recommend I then proceed with the 'security' settings adjustments you mention in your previous reply?

Thank you

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Tom

@Tudor can probably give more help than myself on this as he's one of the forum guru's. I've tagged him so hopefully he'll respond again.

As to the DFS channels, my hub 5 seems to be permanently set on 108 no matter how many times I change it, and whether on I'm on manual or auto, so I think my hub over rides my choice.

I would say (unless Tudor advises otherwise) to try each suggestion for a day or two and see how you get on. Personally I would split the two bands in the Security Settings before I did anything else.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.