cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Cable Snapped

donaldgreig
Joining in

Hello Community.  The broadband cable to my neighbours property has been damaged below the surface of the pavement and I am currently sharing my connection with him by a cable from my box across our gardens.  We have both tried and tried to get VM to repair the cable but apart from many engineer visits, many hours spend on WhatsApp and multiple promises of managers calling us back, no one ever does and we cannot get anywhere.

What can we do?  We've both emailed the VM CEO and had zero response.  We've both logged complaints. Any advice would be valued.

2 REPLIES 2

jem101
Superstar

I assume that the link from your omnibox to the neighbour was a ‘temporary fix’ put in by a visiting technician with the promise that it will be done properly soon, yes?

Remember the old adage ‘there is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix’.

The big problem here is that from VM’s perception, they have absolutely no incentive to do anything, both you and your neighbour are paying them, running extra cables is expensive, so why would they bother?

There is one and only one thing you can do, but it’s not easy or without problems, for your neighbour, not you. The cable across the garden needs to have an unfortunate and completely accidental encounter with a lawn mower or garden spade. Your neighbour reports a complete loss of all services, which will be true. VM eventually dispatch a technician who when they turn up you absolutely deny permission to be on your property and deny permission to reconnect a cable. 

Bit harsh on your neighbour, but they are entitled to compensation of, I think £8 and something for each day they are not connected up. Can they get a temporary 4 or 5G router on a monthly basis to tied them over?

And I am truly sorry to say, but this is the ONLY course of action which will work.

John

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @donaldgreig, thanks for your post here in the Community although I'm very sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

It's very disapponting to hear your concerns have been ignored - please allow me to send you a PM to discuss this further and investigate things.

Kindly expect this to arrive soon and respond when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W