cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broad band Ping spikes

Rustynail
Joining in

Hello I am having issues with connecting to some devices using WIFI in the home. when running a test Virgin says there is no issues. my security camera tech support suggests I am getting ping spikes up to 160ms which is apparently not normal. What can be done to rectify this, I have done a dashboard like the below to track it?

Rustynail_4-1676552935909.png

14 REPLIES 14

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Those are pretty normal ... so what actual issues are these spikes causing on what devices ?

What Hub model is it and is it in router mode or modem mode? Is it still on a single SSID with "Smart wif" still enabled?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John thank you for the response. It's trying to connect my Blink cameras I've had them for a year in the same location no issues and now it will not connect to the module to get online. I've spent a month with the Blink team who are now blaming these spikes as to why it will not connect.

The hub I have is the '3'. how do I check if it is still on a single SSID (I would presume so)? I have not changed any of the settings since installation so I again assume it is still in router mode.

Thanks 

John!!!!! You have to stop telling people that this is normal !!!! This isnt normal for modern households!!!!!!! He/ she clearly is getting the spikes during peak hours (bath tube) 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@buchosmambo wrote:

John!!!!! You have to stop telling people that this is normal !!!! This isnt normal for modern households!!!!!!! He/ she clearly is getting the spikes during peak hours (bath tube) 

Depends on what you think is "normal" on a BQM.  Below is mine today, and its been more or less the same for years - i.e - normal - for me - albeit Its a 1930's property so hardly modern 😎

I have absolutely no issues on any connections whatsoever - they are rock solid on ethernet with full 250/25 - and similar over wifi when near to the router  - speeds drop off a little over in the west wing of course 😎

I guess it depends on whether the spikes cause any practical issues - and they dont for me - or my serious internet gaming son - and he would be the first complain if they did.  OP is also clearly on a full fibre connection - I am still old copper cabled

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 14.59.20.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I must say I'm a bit surprised by that BQM that Rustnail has posted, because the minimum latency is suspicious low, when on typical VM DOCSIS connections it is always in the range 12-24ms, and if the connection is working well there's a modest but continuous yellow fringe where the latency varies.  Take a look at the BQM for Roger_Gooner, who has the lowest latency I've seen on any VM connection.  Apart from an instance of packet loss, that's representative of a VM cable connection operating as well as it can.

Rustynail, are you sure that the BQM is currently tracking your hub's (or router's) current external IP address?  And you're not on some XGS-PON trial or anything similar? 

@jbrennand wrote:

I guess it depends on whether the spikes cause any practical issues - and they dont for me - or my serious internet gaming son - and he would be the first complain if they did.  OP is also clearly on a full fibre connection - I am still old copper cabled

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 14.59.20.png

Euurrrggh!  Your son games on that?  Show him my BQM, see what he says:

My Broadband Ping - Aquiss/Openreach 330 Mbps

Ok John..... yours looks pretty bad. Is your son actually playing online games on that? What is he playing? Id go crazy with latency like this.. Ask him what he thinks about the connection when he plays....

OMG 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I asked him this very question earlier in the week after I chatted to the BRSK sales rep who knocked on the door to try and get us to sign up to their new fibre service on our street.

He wasn't shouting "yes please" he said everything is working just fine - "dont try and fix it". Not sure what games he plays but he has an expensive gaming PC and he plays in a group assembled from around the world (inc S.Korea!) for cash prizes - and they do ok.  😎

All he said was the pings could be better - see below.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 17.26.52.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

So ookla indicates ~15ms but your BQM indicate much higher ms - interesting.... Ookla always shows perfect connection stats for me too - but once I jump on the online gaming the ping I usually get is 50ms averaging to100ms in the evenings.... 

I mean if your son is pro player and is dong fine on that then I guess its acceptable for him....

What set up are you running John if you dont mind me asking - VM hub? or your own?

Are you getting any problems on things like MS TEAMS/ Google Meets and other conference calling apps with these latency spikes?