cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting Superhub 3 into Modem mode

bungee
On our wavelength

I want to start using my own router so read all the 'how to' on the Internet and it seems simple enough but I fall at the first hurdle which is changing my superhub 3 to 'Modem Mode'. I change it to modem mode, apply the changes and all seems good except it doesn't re-boot correctly. The literature says that the front indicator light will turn 'Magenta' when in modem mode which it doesn't, after booting it stays RED. I can get into the router with the IP 192.168.100.1 but there doesn't appear to be anything obvious going on to indicate a fault. Any thoughts on how I can get this thing into modem mode or what I'm doing wrong?

20 REPLIES 20

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say the light "stays" red - implying that the Hub is overheating. Is it in a closed space - or open with a good airflow around it?

So it might actually be in modem mode - have you tested that?  Getting in on the ...100.1  url suggests it is.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

bungee
On our wavelength

Hi there, thanks for your response. I doubt overheating is an issue it's in a well ventilated area and I can't afford to have the heating on <g> also It works fine when I switch it back to 'Router' mode. I connected my ASUS RT-AC86U router as shown in the literature but couldn't establish a connection from superhub to Asus. I'm not convinced the boot up in modem mode is completing successfully with the LED showing RED when all the literature says it should be 'Magenta' but have no idea what to do about it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the light goes white(ish) in router mode - then its probably fine and its just the cheapo LED looking reddish but is actually magenta 🙂

The connection may not have established if you dont follow this sequence - try again...

Switch on and set up your own router (in its settings) to have its WAN port set to be in.. Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router back on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat6a ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If you can get to 192.168.100.1 it should be up and running...what WAN IP is your router getting?

with the hub in modem mode power off for two mins then connect just a PC and power on wait 5 mins unplug replug Ethernet cable till you get internet then connect that PC to your router login find MAC clone option and copy PC MAC to router and connect router to hub.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"the front indicator light will turn 'Magenta' when in modem mode which it doesn't, after booting it stays RED."

Your text implies that the LED was red before you put it into modem mode. In router mode it should be white. What colour was the LED before you put into modem mode? If it was red, then the Hub3 will need replacing.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi bungee, 

Thanks for posting to us here on the Community. 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues setting up modem mode. If you follow the steps listed by our members, this should help get you set up. 

I just wanted to swing by and check if you are getting the red light whilst the equipment is still in router mode? If so, please do let us know as we will need to assist further. 

Thanks, 

Nat

bungee
On our wavelength

Hi all, Lots of info here that I'll use in having another go today. Just one point of clarification. When in 'Router' mode my hub 3 works OK and the indicator light on the front is white as it should be. It's only when switching to 'Modem' that I end up with a RED light following re-booting but what I never did was power it off/on as suggested in a reply here.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Post up a photo of the red light so we can see if it might actually qualify as "magenta" 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

Please can you post a red light or even a video of this happening so we can take a look into this. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?