cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booster/Pod Help - SO angry

Briony
Tuning in

I’m so angry and frustrated with virgin. We upgraded to hub 4, 1Gig to try to increase WiFi speed during wfh and homeschooling. The existing boosters will not connect, so despite faster speed, the black spots upstairs still exist. I’ve followed the online set up and reset hun and boosters numerous times, they’re just dead. I just want the new Intelligent WiFi pods as part of our package to try to rectify. Can I get to speak to someone? No. 

I have spent SEVEN HOURS on the phone to virgin this week, being passed from dept to dept with a 40 min wait each time. I have written on this forum - no response- have done the online triage/assistance 4x - no response- and have lodged a complaint, which i was told I’d be contacted within 48 hrs. Nothing. However if you call Sales, it’s a fast pickup as Virgin can make more money on this line. 

Add to this endless online ‘troubleshooting’ links, which do not shoot my trouble.?

We’re paying considerably more for a poor WiFi service and ZERO customer service. I’m at my wits end. PLUS, a dead phone line for the past few weeks AND a failed hard drive on our V6 box, since replaced. 

PLEASE help. I appreciate everyone’s struggling currently, but the customer service is horrendous. I just want to talk to someone who can fix what we’re paying more for! 😡

35 REPLIES 35

Did you manage to get this sorted? I find myself in a similar situation.

@thehobbit30 wrote:

Did you manage to get this sorted? I find myself in a similar situation.

Which is what?

You're better off starting your own thread for assistance 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I did get it sorted!
After an online 24hr monitoring, Virgin confirmed the signal kept breaking.  Finally had an engineer visit who said the box was set to channel 108 when it shouldn’t really be above 50. He reset it, fitted new coaxial connectors (not supplied with the hub 4 but apparently needed), and all has been working much better. 
Due to the high channel, we were receiving intermittent signal which was the problem. The booster is now working well and coverage is good. Kids Xbox still lags now and then but it’s better. 
definitely try and push for an engineer, there’s only so much you can do yourself. Took a LONG time to get fixed. Good luck!

108 is a DFS channel. It will disconnect you and should auto change to a non-DFS channel if it detects any radar interference from army barracks and weather stations etc. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I'm glad it is sorted but the boosters or powerline adapters are the best option, especially if you buy .ac ones for a few quid more. The channel being on 108 sounds like nonsense to me! No domestic phone/device would be able tp see the SSID transmitting in that range, anything above 50 and it's invisible. The pods switch the router back to a single SSID which is awful news for devices as once they disconnect, they go to the 2.4ghz signal which is painfully slow.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pgould1972 wrote:

<snip>. The channel being on 108 sounds like nonsense to me! 

Nope, DFS channels can be used, but not recommended as they interfere with Radar equipment. However some Routers can manage this by monitoring the WiFi. My old ASUS had this facility, but I don’t use it anymore as I’ve moved to PoE Access Points. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks