cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booster/Pod Help - SO angry

Briony
Tuning in

I’m so angry and frustrated with virgin. We upgraded to hub 4, 1Gig to try to increase WiFi speed during wfh and homeschooling. The existing boosters will not connect, so despite faster speed, the black spots upstairs still exist. I’ve followed the online set up and reset hun and boosters numerous times, they’re just dead. I just want the new Intelligent WiFi pods as part of our package to try to rectify. Can I get to speak to someone? No. 

I have spent SEVEN HOURS on the phone to virgin this week, being passed from dept to dept with a 40 min wait each time. I have written on this forum - no response- have done the online triage/assistance 4x - no response- and have lodged a complaint, which i was told I’d be contacted within 48 hrs. Nothing. However if you call Sales, it’s a fast pickup as Virgin can make more money on this line. 

Add to this endless online ‘troubleshooting’ links, which do not shoot my trouble.?

We’re paying considerably more for a poor WiFi service and ZERO customer service. I’m at my wits end. PLUS, a dead phone line for the past few weeks AND a failed hard drive on our V6 box, since replaced. 

PLEASE help. I appreciate everyone’s struggling currently, but the customer service is horrendous. I just want to talk to someone who can fix what we’re paying more for! 😡

35 REPLIES 35

UPDATE:

Received the new intelligent WiFi pods and installed as directed. Following the activation text, I’ve been told they can’t be activated and to call tech support. I’m now on hold for 30 mins to Virgin tech, AGAIN!! 

Utter RUBBISH. 

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
The Pods do not need to be activated. I can assure of that as I trialled them for VM. They just need plugging in and they make their own connection to your Hub. I use them with a Hub 4 in two rooms and they are fine. Like all mesh systems they have their foibles. Use this troubleshooting guide to get them working. You do need to experiment with positioning and they do need about 24 hours when set up to stabilise. And you do need to check the wifi settings in your Hub 4. The FAQ helps you do this.

If they don't connect after a reasonable period to time then it is just possible they haven't been properly provisioned on VM's system to work with your Hub. That will require a call to get put right.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-intelligent-wifi-pods-faqs#Troubleshooting

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Send it back and get your own better wireless kit 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Interesting that these "new" Pods (according to the help docs) only work with Wifi Optimisation on and a single SSID for both channels. That should be fun for people who need a fixed channel and split SSID's for their IoT kit......

Also been on the Plume website and it's interesting use of the Cloud. However you can opt-out of certain things, but looks similar to Google and Amazon mesh AI.  For the tin foil hat brigade it's maybe one to skip over.   Personally I'd rather setup my own kit  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I wonder if they send any information or data to Plume as well. The “privacy policy” isn’t clear.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

The Pods have been designed (based on Plume) to be easy to set up (plug in and switch on) and use with the Hub 3/4 default configuration. They won't be suitable if you wish to depart from that default configuration. If you do you are going to have to use third party equipment if you want a Mesh system.

Hi, I don’t wish to depart from anything, nor build my own mesh system nor split SSIDs. I don’t work in telecoms or IT.  I simply want to plug in and get the service we’ve been promised and pay (more) for. 

90 mins, 2 wrong departments and now the promise of a call back this afternoon. The call centre staff can only work with what they’ve been given admittedly, but it isn’t adequate.  

The settings mentioned by another previously are all correct. 

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

Briony

Don't get too aggravated by the side discussions that take place in threads like this. The Forum is a means of sharing knowledge and information as well as offering direct help. But that help comes, more often than not from other VM users. The Forum is not a means of accessing VM tech help directly.

The first thing I would do is unplug the Pods or if they are already unplugged get one of them plugged in as near as the Hub as possible. See if it connects. If it does. Unplug it and reconnect it nearer the blackspot you wish to eliminate or improve.

If it doesn't then unplug it. Reboot your Hub and try again. The Hub does need to be running the latest version of the Hub software and this might bring it down.

If all that fails come back here and I'll push this up to the VM staff to get your account looked at. There is the possibility of a provisioning issue at VM's end. We need to find out.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

so what are the pods doing after you plug them in - they should start with a flashing white light which goes out after a while - the time seems to be variable mine went out in a minute or so - others report 5 minutes - if they are still flashing after 10 minutes i would say something is wrong

so if they are then do a reboot on the router and see what happens - if that does not help do a full reset and again see if that improves things

the hub4 needs new firmware to work with the pods - that is being rolled out - maybe yours has not been upgraded - can you log into it and post the firmware version

if after all that they do not work then post back and i or someone will flag the thread - not sure what the forum staff can do but we can ask

Tony.
Sacked VIP

The “service you pay for” is for wired speeds. Not wireless.