Menu
Paul1762
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Boardband Speed issues.

I am having an on going issue with the Boardband signal strength both wired and wifi... at times the speed is below 40mb,  my service is 220mb.

i know that my Macbook only has a 100mbs card inside, got that and would not expect above 100, however the wifi i would

the minimum service speed I should get is 107mb.

so when trying to resolve this last night i was told i needed a booster, well puzzled... as last week i was getting speeds of over 150mb, the router has not been moved, no more devices on the system.

so accepted a booster reluctantly... now This morning my service charge as changed to include a booster...

can anyone please explain why i have a degradation in my service provided... and the solution is for me to pay for something that is not needed and will not resolve the issue...

paul

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Boardband Speed issues.

@Paul1762 wrote:

I am having an on going issue with the Boardband signal strength both wired and wifi... at times the speed is below 40mb,  my service is 220mb.

i know that my Macbook only has a 100mbs card inside, got that and would not expect above 100, however the wifi i would

the minimum service speed I should get is 107mb.

Not necessarily !   For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!  What network is your Macbook connecting too - if its not gigabit enabled I suspect it might also be limited to the "older" 2.4 GHz network standard and not have 5GHz capability.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul1762,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for reaching out with your concerns. I'm sorry that you've experienced recent issues with your broadband connection.

Taking a look at the backend of your services, I've been unable to identify any issues with the connection entering your property. However there does appear to be a device or two which could be causing interference on your wireless network.

Is there anything near your hub which could be moved away or connected via ethernet instead of wifi?

I can also see that you've recently rebooted your hub, but have you tried a pinhole reset at all? I know it might seem simple, but it refreshes all internal processed and the connection to our network so will often resolve a lot of blips.

Regarding boosters, if you subscribe to the Full House package or above these would not be chargeable.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Paul1762
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

J many thanks for the reply...

when you say network do you mean 1.4 or 5Gz?

my MacBook Pro is Mid 2014, iPad Pro and iPhone XR...

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Paul - I was meaning.. can you tell from looking at iOS "network connection" or with a wifi scanner, whether your phone is connected on the 2.4 or 5 GHz networks at the time the speeds are "slow"?
I have separate SSID's for the 2 so its easy to tell or switch. If you have the Hub3 (you didnt say) and you havent renamed the SSID's they wont shop as separate.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Paul1762
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

J,

done what you suggest... now MacBook Pro show a cool 216.79 Mbps...

great...

many thanks

0 Kudos