Menu
marty3
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Blocking ip address from hub3

Is it possible to block IP address from hub3 router settings?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blocking ip address from hub3

No the hub is not a firewall you need to get a router that does or firewall on the device.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

do you mean block external IP addresses?
or do you mean blocking devices inside your network.
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:
No the hub is not a firewall you need to get a router that does or firewall on the device.

well that's not entirely true.
it is a firewall of sorts in that it blocks incoming connections unless specifically allowed.

0 Kudos
marty3
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What exactly is the firewall for on the firewall page? You can't add any rules to it. I mean can you even call that firewall? It has 4 options which are found under most routers general settings. It is not a firewall. 

I can't even explain what I need because I tried a detailed post which got deleted by moderators. 

I need to permanently block 2 external IP address on my hub 3. Is there any way I can do this on this hub 3.0? I know I can restrict or block devices connected to my network via their mac I'd but I need to block 2 external IP address

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM just wanted the word firewall in their to make them happy and it does some odd things when its on or off making it troublesome.

If you need some thing blocked you need to get a better router with firewall rules.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"A firewall is a network security device that monitors traffic to or from your network. It allows or blocks traffic based on a defined set of security rules."

clearly the hub3 does have a firewall. whether it is as fully featured as some might want/need, that's a differnet question, but it clearly does have a firewall.

to answer the OP, no you can't do what you want, for whatever reasons it is you have.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

All those years of Googling in his bedroom and legacy still hasn't a clue. Of course the hub 3.0 has a firewall but it's limited to:

• protection
  • blocking fragmented IP packets
  • port scan detection
  • IP flood detection

The hub is built to a budget, anything more requires your own router.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

All those years of Googling in his bedroom and legacy still hasn't a clue.

I have a clue you just don't like it.

Many, many years ago...(I must be old)...simple NAT router started to happen and routers didn't do what would become called as a firewall! In simple NAT routers. So what did simple NAT routers did back then? Well a incoming packet that was not part of the statefull outgoing traffic or port forwarded hit the NAT and the NAT responded as that port is closed. So what happen was the so called firewall in simple NAT routers was to not responded to such traffic.

History lesson over.

0 Kudos