cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block ICMP responses

Chrom2um86
Tuning in

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but can't find anything more recent than 2017 and a lot can change in 5 years (5 years!! yikes!)

I've got a Superhub 3 that responds to ICMP. I can't find any option in the admin to block responses to ICMP requests. I'd swear that this used to be an option but might be mis-remembering. Have I missed the option somewhere, or is it not possible?

To all those who would suggest modem mode and my own router - thanks but in this circumstance I'm specifically asking about the Superhub 3's capabilities.

TIA!

8 REPLIES 8

BaldrickBravo
Superfast

I don't think you can do that with the SH3.

There are different types of ICMP packets. If you are talking about blocking pings (echo request and echo reply), that's just one type.

I'm curious as to why you would want to block ICMP requests? It doesn't really give you any extra security. If you do want that kind of control, then really you want a proper firewall.

Yep, pings or echo request/response packets are the ones I'm referring to.

Thanks...glad it's not just me missing the setting then.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Chrom2um86

Welcome to the community!

There is some recent helpful information on where to find the settings for ICMP on the HUB 3 here. Let me know if this information is what you needed or if you have any further questions. I'll try help best I can. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Its a bit of a mess VM have made with ICMP with the hub, first in older hub their was a option then it got removed and was bound to the unless firewall check box I can't remember what they did but it was like if its on or off the box ICMP would be allowed or blocked and stopped port forwarding if it was on or off and now ICMP is just allowed because people want ICMP for BQM and port forwarding to work and now your unhappy because you can't disable it!

VM go dig yourself a hole!🤣 The only thing you can get right is modem mode.😁

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Carley,

Thanks for replying. I've taken a look at the post and my SH3 settings, but sadly I do not have those options, which agrees with what Felim_Doyle is reporting in their post.

Advanced > Security > Firewall only has:

• Firewall protection
  • Block fragmented IP packets
  • Port scan detection
  • IP flood detection

While Advanced > Tools > Pings just gives me the option to ping a target.

Just for reference, the details of my SH3 are:

Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version : 10
Software version : 9.1.1912.304

It seems like VM have removed the option that controls whether the SH3 responds to ICMP echos or not, and I'd prefer it to be a reinstated as a separate option to control by itself (Advanced > Security > Firewall seems the best place for it IMHO).

Thanks.

Faster to just use modem mode and your own router.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Chrom2um86

Can you please try a pinhole reset on the Hub

Than follow the Same steps as last time to check for the ICMP box 

Gareth_L

@Gareth_L wrote:

Hello Chrom2um86

Can you please try a pinhole reset on the Hub

Than follow the Same steps as last time to check for the ICMP box 

Gareth_L

There is no ICMP box on the Hub3...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi