cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blink Camera not connecting via Wifi

Broggie
Joining in

Hello Virgin Community, around three weeks ago I woke to my Blink sync module no longer working. Blink uses 2.4 Mhz (wifi) connection and all had been fine for a number of months. A few days before the incident I do remember receiving and email from Virgin stating a Wifi upgrade to 5Mhz was underway. However regardless what I try or from the advice from Blink support it is not working. I am seeking any assistance as I suspect the issue is how the wifi 2.4 is being transmitted.

Steps I have undertaken

Virgin connection is modem only with a VPN Linksys router (Running Flashrouters on DD WRT)transmitting the wifi. I have separated the outputs to transmit 5mgz and 2.4 mhz using unique SSID and passwords.

Watched the Blink connect try using its static address connect to local LAN then disconnect.

Setup a "local hotspot" and this did work.

Allocated dedicated IP

Any advice or ideas to try would be appreciated but I am guessing that this is related to the way 2.4mhz is being transmitted.  However out of ideas how to setup the router to reflect this.

Thanks In advance

10 REPLIES 10

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Can't help with the Blink I'm afraid, but you can ignore the message from Virgin about their changes.  If you are using your Hub in modem mode then Virgin can have no influence on your own router's WiFi

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You said you used a static address on the Blink, was this a real static address or a pseudo static address, really a reserved/preferred IP address in your router? Also, which DNS servers are you using? Do you have to open any ports on your router? Possibly the Blink is “calling home” and often these servers are in China and are sometime the cause of problems.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hello, The IP is soft static not (ie defined via router), I have been trying to work through the issue with no luck.  The Blink support are no gd.

What I have done since.

Topology  Virgin Hub 3 (Modem Only) - Linksys (WRT54g) using Flash routers and NORD VPN

Split the Wifi into 2.4 and 5 only.  Did not resolve.

Opened up the ports for Blink. Did not resolve.

Put the Virgin router back to router. Did  resolve.

Went back to Hub 3 modem only Flash routers and NORD VPN. Using Did not resolve.

Must admit I am out of ideas.

I have reset and rebuilt everthing I can think of.  Not sure what has changed as it was all working upto a month ago.

If, as you say reverting to the VM hub in router mode, DID, fix the issue - then we can reliably conclude that it’s your Linksys router that’s the problem!

Does the Blink cam actually connect OK to the WiFi (can you ping it from your network)? What’s the NORD VPN for? Disable it any try then, it may well be messing up the routing that the cam expects.

Hi Broggie, thanks for the message. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with this and did you do what Jem101 has suggested?. Can you confirm if this has resolved this issue for you?. We cannot really advise when you are using 3rd party equipment, does this happen with no VPN and connecting via router mode within the super hub? ^Chris

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I've been playing with a Blink camera. Always suspicious of devices talking to remote servers but I wanted a camera to fit into a bird feeding station and it looked the right device.

Had no trouble connecting the camera to the app with its interface device, but initially it would not connect to the remote server.

After some playing about I found that it doesn't like using a VPN.  I use ExpressVPN, and the app wouldn't connect with it active.  Fortunately ExpressVPN allows selective access, and with the Blink app given a free pass it now connects reliably.

Hope this helps.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

kemm71
Tuning in

rename your 2.4 connection (or the other one).  Then link you app to 2.4 wifi.  

we spent weeks trying to work it out, now we have them all fully functioning

kemm71
Tuning in

rename one of your connections, then link the app to the 2.4 wifi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Added to thread

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.