Menu
pocelectricals
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Black spots in my house

Thanks in advance. 

Firstly sorry if this seems easy but i do not understand networks or anything so ask for simple replys and good descriptions. 

I have a old house three bedroom but lots of walls due a chimey place in every room. I am an electrician so do mind hard wiring cat 6 if needed. But I wanted to know if I can have two or three of the virgin boxes 3.0 super hubs (or something else) hard wired to allwow the strongest wifi singnal thoigh oit the house. 

At present I have my hub in the loft, this is also where it enters my house so its not on an extention, and the signal is poor in my kitchen. I have tried it in diffrent place which sorts it out but then im just moving the black spot round. 

To solve this I have hard wired my TVs and other fixed equiipment but still have speakers and ipads etc which loose signal. 

Tried plug in wifi extenders but these also drop signal. 

Any helpmwould be approcated and if possible any equipment recommended the name and product code so I can get the exact one 

cheers 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Black spots in my house

If you are prepared to hard wire, then take Ethernet cable to each desired room. But because the hub has only 4 sockets, you should be prepared to add a switch in any location that needs more devices. You can also add a WiFi access point tucked to the/each switch.

If that’s what you want to and can do, we can design it further for you.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
pocelectricals
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That would be great how would the design process work 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It would be a logical design from my perspective. If you are intent on keeping the Hub 3 in the loft then there's the more complicated design. If you are happy to have VM provide a new cable into the house at ground level (£99) then much can be simplified and the whole thing would be easier to manage.

I would PM you my email address. You would email me your floor plan (loft included) indicating your reaction to my suggestion above). You would also indicate on the plan where WiFi reception is key and where you feel you must have Ethernet sockets.

Then I can produce (no charge) a drawn design that distributes Internet to upstairs and downstairs using switches in key locations, suggesting where WiFi APs should go. You could expect to lay out on equipment something close to £230 for two Netgear switches and c. £150 for two WiFi APs of the type I would recommend (Ubiquiti). If you do have VM put in an additional entry point to the house (or do you already have one for TV?) then the Hub 3 would go there and the design would take Ethernet from there to the two key locations and from those key locations to other rooms as required.

The above advice is based on not relying upon the Hub 3's WiFi; it'll never reach all parts of a house. Your outlay and effort will not be trivial. There would be a simpler solution using WiFi enabled Powerline adapters that transports signal over the electrical mains (so long as your house has one distribution panel). Typically this would halve the headline speed especially when there is more than one concurrent user due to how the system overcomes electrical noise. I use this solution to distribute Internet across my house and everyone can stream no problem off WiFi. The cost would be around half that of the super duper solution depending on how many Powerline adapters you would need.

But whatever you do, get the Hub out of the loft because it'll drive you mad installing all this via loft ladders.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Tink78
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When I try to scan for WiFi blackpots it tells me I'm not connected to my home network when I am.

0 Kudos
pocelectricals
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That would be great. If you could how would I go about taking you up on that service 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tink78, 

Thanks for getting in touch, your connection seems ok from this side. 

It may help to try the link below:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos