cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black spot with hub 4

Chiquatine
Joining in

Currently have black spot in back bedroom or kitchen was never a problem until we put a tv in there for the children but the vm connect app says it doesn’t support hub 4, any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
To check the wifi environment, you should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check relative strength of signal an eliminate and channel clashes

The TV would be best connected on an ethernet cable -but that isnt always practicable. Powerline adapters "may" be the simplest solution - my lad uses a pair in his room to connect his gaming PC and consoles with no issue

But also see this...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order them (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Chiquatine, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your issues with WiFi signal. 

It is true that electrical devices can interfere with WiFi signal so it may not be a coincidence that this has happened since you relocated your TV.

We do have our own Intelligent Wifi Pods as @jbrennand has advised, and if you are on a Volt bundle then these are free of charge - otherwise they are £5 per month but you can cancel them at any time.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you are interested in obtaining the Intelligent Wifi Pods and if so, I can send you a PM to discuss this further and get one sent out to you.

Many thanks

Tom_W