Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Better internet

There is a house I would like to buy, but sadly in the area, fibre optic is not available. In fact, I don't think virgin media is available at all. Is there no way, even if I have the money, I can pay Virgin to install a cabinet in that general area to run wires to the house, for better internet? My partner and I are gamers, hence why we need really good internet. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Better internet

Cable is generally not “good” for gaming because of the latency.

Virgin will only install in areas where it’s financially viable - getting wayleaves etc cost £10,000 and upwards. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oh, I have been gaming for 20+ years. I know all about requirements. I most certainly know you need good download speed if you want to not lag mid-game or download a digital game you purchased very quick.  I was just wondering if it was possible to pay for Virgin Media to install a cabinet in a new area where it isn't available, because money isn't an issue for us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Download isn’t what’s required for “good gaming”, if anything Upload is more important. 

Ping and latency matter most and you get more of it on cable than with a DSL line.

And no they won’t install it for one household. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Of course. Upload plays a part, as well as downloading from the servers. As an Xbox gamer, good internet is essential. My current package is good, runs smoothly. No lag or whatever. Sadly, the place we wanted to move to doesn't. Which is why I asked if it were possible. No worries!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Really good Internet for gamers is something like bt not virgin. Virgin gives good download speeds. Bt gives far better response. It's the latter you need not the former . 

0 Kudos