cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best router for hub 3

Cjmills
On our wavelength

Wonder what people can recommend for as router for a hub 3. Tired of the constant WiFi drops the hub 3 is giving. Spoken to support and only ask they have is constant hardware reset. 

Working at home we need a solid vpn and we are getting drops all the time. 

thanks for any recommendations offered

11 REPLIES 11

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If wireless coverage and wireless signal strength are a problem then buying your own router may be a good idea, but don't buy anything until you've confirmed that the problem is not a cable connection problem, otherwise you'll be about a hundred quid poorer and still have the problem.  If a reset or restart temporarily cures the problem then that usually means it's a cable problem.

Ideally after a good few hours (eg overnight) without restarting the hub, connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

If all those look good then we can move on to other performance checks.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Cjmills
On our wavelength

Thanks will do this later

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately nobody can answer your question fully. It depends on many external factors. If I answered “what is the best router” it would cost you hundreds of pounds and only be a router, not a router/network switch/Wireless access point.

1) How much money do you want to spend

2) Do you use any Ethernet wired connections or are you all WiFi

3) Is the hubs WiFi adequate downstairs, but not upstairs

4) If you go the mesh route you realise that you need power for each unit

5) Is it easy to run Ethernet cable to upstairs

6) Even with a retail router/access point/network switch the WiFi may not be adequate upstairs?

There are also many other factors.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

depends on many factors, what are you looking for the router to do well,
e.g. limit access for kids at night, blocking certain sites/domains
having large wifi coverage
connecting to VPN for e.g. work etc

And of course the big question what sort of budget you working with, using a 3rd party router would work better than the hub, but sometimes using a mesh network can work out better depending on the overall requirements

Cjmills
On our wavelength

Thanks all for the replies 

my reason for adding a router is that hub3 is causing very poor WiFi in a 70’s 3 bed house. 

we work from home 2 people and need a stable WiFi for vpn working which currently the hub3 doesn’t give us. 

budget is around £150 - £250 so looking at netgear nighthawk just deal with the WiFi and I’ll disable the WiFi on the hub3. 

hope that helps all

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Look at Mesh systems as well. You can get a good one in that budget range. Make sure any you look at has 1GB ethernet ports - and Triband is good to have for reducing backhaul to keep speeds high, and Wif6 would be nice for the fastest connections.

Look on sites like Techradar and Techadvisor for reviews and "best of"

If you have several items connecting on ethernet - you will need to connect a 5-8 port GB Unmanaged switch (~£15-25) to the first Mesh unit and wire everything into that as Mesh units may only have 1 spare port

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey @Cjmills,

Thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

I have been able to locate your account and can see that the upstream power levels on two of your channels, we would need to get an engineer visit booked in for this to be resolved for you.

I can get this booked in for you today but would need to take a few details from you to be able to do this for you. I will drop the private message over in a moment, please look out for it.

Regards

Steven_L

Thanks for confirming your details @Cjmills.

I have arranged for the appointment and you can find all the information that you need about your appointment on your online account and clicking My Account and Track Your Order.

Regards,

Steven_L