cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on how to put Hub 5 into Modem mode & what router to buy

FedUpOfBranson
Tuning in

Hi, Please could someone give me some advice on what Router I should buy that will work with my Ring Doorbell 2, Ring cams & the new Virgin Hub 5. Also how do I put the Virgin Hub 5 into Modem only mode? 
My current Hub 3 works with my ring doorbell & cams but have intermittent WiFi dropping in & out on my phone, tablet, TV streaming etc (including the ring devices too) Virgin engineer split the WiFi into 2.4 & 5GHz, replaced the cable connection & installed a plug in booster where the cable enters the house. He said if that doesn’t cure it then I’ll need a new hub as mine is old & possibly faulty (he said it was running very hot) 
Mon the forum I’ve read that the Hub 4 doesn’t work with ring devices & the Hub 5 is no better? I’ve been advised to put a new hub 5 into Modem only mode & connect a new router to ring devices but not sure which router is best or how to do this? 
Thanks for reading & hopefully some advice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Good choices above, but dont jump in just yet - see this as a starter to get some ideas.

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Good choices above, but dont jump in just yet - see this as a starter to get some ideas.

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your advice.👍🏻

Thanks for your advice 👍🏻

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM help page does not fully give the correct sequence you must follow. Instructions below:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

That’s great. Thanks for this. 👍🏻

Squirrol
Joining in

Thankyou everyone on this post.  I recently joined Virgin & was given a Hub5 & 360 Box. 

I'd previously added plugin TP-Link wifi boosters to enhance my BT set-up.  Sadly, I found that the booster wouldn't work with the Hub5.

Problem solved with TP-deco MESH wifi6 (enhanced everything), using the info provided by you guys. 😁

Thanks for this.  I was struggling to get my new router to see the VM hub.  The switching off of the hub then back on did the trick.  Cheers