Menu
666panda
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Best router advice

Totally sick of the rubbish connection with the super hub. I’ve been running an airport express but that’s just died so I need something fast and reliable.

we have a lot of smart products.

Amazon Alexa

Numerous Nest products

Hue lighting

Sonos

Alongside personal devices.

does anyone have anything they would recommend without reservation?

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Best router advice

depends entirely on your budget and what "features" you deem as non-negotiable.

note - the hue lighting is not relevant as it doesn't use your WIFI network. the hue bridge connects via ethernet and the bulbs connect to the bridge via their own zigbee network, not your WIFI network.

0 Kudos
666panda
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I just want it to work, I’m so fed up with having no internet! Avoid any flat spots and reach out to the garden ideally. Probably up to £300 on the budget.

As for non negotiables I’m not too sure I’m not too tech heavy with vocab and knowledge so be gentle with me!!

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

problem is, you could spend £300 on a high quality router and it would still have poor wifi as wifi is affected by location conditions such as the layout of the house, the thickness and types of internal walls, the position of with wifi router, the amount of other wifi networks in close vicinity.

wifi is a dark art and just because a router works great for 1 person doesn't mean it will work great for another.

so, where will the router be located? what is the house layout like? how many floors, rooms etc.
reaching out to the garden.. how far out?
0 Kudos
666panda
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

2 floors. Router would be in Lounge where the chimney is shown and I’d want WiFi just outside the top right of the house and just above the ‘Timber store’ probably about 15m as the crow flies

EDIT - floor plan won’t display 🙄

180984F5-A5B6-42C2-A6A2-9002A6CF4A9A.jpeg

0 Kudos
SanderC
Up to speed
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just bought from amazon a Linksys  Velop  mesh wifi, three devices for £136, easy to set up using an app on your phone, got rid of the dodgy wifi provided by the hub, strong signal throughout all three levels of the house. Just turned off the wifi from the hub 3.0 got great wifi instead

0 Kudos
666panda
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sounds good thanks I’ll take a look 😊

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

be careful about mesh, it requires you dotting devices around all over the place, and it has a small impact on overall bandwidth. also, depending on environment they aren't always the best solution.
0 Kudos
SanderC
Up to speed
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The better systems use either hardwire back to stop this or a hidden channel to reduce overheads. Checked speed which was 40 using Virgin hub is now 200 wirelessly dropping to 150 on the third floor. 
I think that is acceptable and better than trying to run cat6 cables everywhere, ever remembering that all right corners and splitting the pairs seriously causes problems. Not to mention the inflexibility 

0 Kudos
SanderC
Up to speed
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

067CEDE8-79E8-44B2-A9C4-CB45501C57FC.jpeg

Just a pick from the downstairs Velop 

0 Kudos